Hatching Advice- First time hatching!

DuckNana207

Chirping
May 26, 2020
Wisconsin
First time hatching... We have 11 mallard ducklings. So far 10 have hatched (started around 7am, ended around 2pm). The last egg had internally pipped (and was moving), but not externally. I made a "safety hole" in the air sac end since it had been 18hrs since the other eggs had pipped externally, but so far nothing has happened (5hours have passed). Do I leave the egg sit a while longer? And should I leave my other ducklings in the incubator until the last one hatches? I'm worried opening the incubator will cause trouble for the last egg. Temp is at 100, and 75% humidity. It has only been 8 hours since the last egg hatched.

Last edited:
First time hatching... We have 11 mallard ducklings. So far 10 have hatched (started around 7am, ended around 2pm). The last egg had internally pipped (and was moving), but not externally. I made a "safety hole" in the air sac end since it had been 18hrs since the other eggs had pipped externally, but so far nothing has happened (5hours have passed). Do I leave the egg sit a while longer? And should I leave my other ducklings in the incubator until the last one hatches? I'm worried opening the incubator will cause trouble for the last egg. Temp is at 100, and 75% humidity. It has only been 8 hours since the last egg hatched.

Get coffee.
Watch a movie or something. It's gonna be a while. I'm nearing hour 48 with a mallard egg I found in a destroyed nest and it's only just nearing readiness for hatching. It pipped externally on monday morning and hasn't made much progress. Earlier this evening I did a spot light check and found there was still red blood veins in the membrane. As of like half an hour ago they're almost gone.
So just hang out and wait.
Worst case scenario is that it's shrink wrapped or malpositioned.
Here's a quick link to the assists if it's been more than 36 hours and your nerves have finally had it with the wait and see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Get coffee.
Watch a movie or something. It's gonna be a while. I'm nearing hour 48 with a mallard egg I found in a destroyed nest and it's only just nearing readiness for hatching. It pipped externally on monday morning and hasn't made much progress. Earlier this evening I did a spot light check and found there was still red blood veins in the membrane. As of like half an hour ago they're almost gone.
So just hang out and wait.
Worst case scenario is that it's shrink wrapped or malpositioned.
Here's a quick link to the assists if it's been more than 36 hours and your nerves have finally had it with the wait and see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I just checked the egg, and noticed less movement. I decided to help (it has been about 36 hrs. When I broke open the end some, duckling was peeping, but looked like he may have been shrink-wrapped? I helped carefully remove the dried part of membrane and opened the shell a bit more. He is laying curled up now, so he is back in the incubator.

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_074911.jpg
    IMG_20200527_074911.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200527_075154.jpg
    IMG_20200527_075154.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 8
Looks decent enough.
Get some bactrim and rub it on the membrane. Do you see any veins?
Also duckling hatched.
As is tradition he's resting in a tea cup and sleeping in the incubator now.
20200527_095249.jpg

Looks decent enough.
Get some bactrim and rub it on the membrane. Do you see any veins?
Also duckling hatched.
As is tradition he's resting in a tea cup and sleeping in the incubator now.View attachment 2162373

I did not see any veins, but left him to come out on his own since I could tell he would be able to wiggle out at this point. He is now hatched and drying off! He looks a little smaller than the rest, but seems well!

Attachments

• 1590589617578968301470431724811.jpg
    1590589617578968301470431724811.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 8
UPDATE:
All ducklings are hatched and doing well. The last duckling is drying off in the incubator, and will be moved to the brooder soon! We've decided to name the last duckling Sheldon (cartoon character from Garfield). 😄
Thank you all for your help, and advice!

Sounds like he was a bit shrink wrapped. It was wise to wait and then do a check of veins and then leave it be after it was freed up a bit.
Looks like the 27th is both of our hatch days.
Naming mine Apo.

Back
Top Bottom