Hatching duckling troubles

Sounds like he's probably at least at day 29 then? What breeds are all your ducks? Any muscovies?

It doesn't look like it's pipped or anything yet, so my guess is with all the ducks on nests it got broken during some moving around and scuffling. I wouldn't put it back; without the shell to protect it, it's vulnerable to becoming seriously injured if the same thing happens again.

Plus they already kicked it out once, so they probably don't want it and might just kick it out again.

Last edited:
We will give her back if it hatches in the incubator. I can still see small movements through the clear side of the incubator. Probably sneak her into the nest at night.

Also, we lost another one that looked just like this one the day before the first one showed up. Looked full term. My kids were adamant about me NOT autopsying it though so not sure. Most of the hard shell was gone and part of the inner membrane was broken.

We will give her back if it hatches in the incubator. I can still see small movements through the clear side of the incubator. Probably sneak her into the nest at night.

Also, we lost another one that looked just like this one the day before the first one showed up. Looked full term. My kids were adamant about me NOT autopsying it though so not sure. Most of the hard shell was gone and part of the inner membrane was broken.
Momma is getting stressed as they begin hatching. I'm thinking this a first time Momma. If your constantly looking your causing stress and she is killing them...
Definitely not saying your fault because young mothers will kill hatchlings.

Sounds like another one that got broken but didn't make it like this one has. With four ducks sharing space it's very possible that in all the shuffling the eggs are getting stepped on and broken.

That was about a week ago, right? I'm not sure if you saw my previous breed question, do you have any muscovies?

Sounds like another one that got broken but didn't make it like this one has. With four ducks sharing space it's very possible that in all the shuffling the eggs are getting stepped on and broken.

That was about a week ago, right? I'm not sure if you saw my previous breed question, do you have any muscovies?

Sorry. I forgot by the time I got to end of that last message I typed. Lol. No muscovies. Mostly mutts hatching at this point. We have a few purebreds but the babies should be mostly mutts. We have pekin, Rouen, KC, and WH that are almost all rescue ducks.

Sorry. I forgot by the time I got to end of that last message I typed. Lol. No muscovies. Mostly mutts hatching at this point. We have a few purebreds but the babies should be mostly mutts. We have pekin, Rouen, KC, and WH that are almost all rescue ducks.

Thanks! I was asking because muscovies take 35 days to hatch and muscovy hybrids take 32 days, so I was trying to figure if this one might have a bit more time to go.

But since the last eggs went in around 29 days ago, and these are all mallard derived, we should figure that he's due to hatch really soon.

I just saw that you're having a bit of trouble getting the humidity in the incubator up. To increase humidity, you want to increase the surface area of the water. So adding a wet paper towel across the bottom (not touching the egg) should help bring it up.

I did get the humidity up finally. But I think it just wasn’t meant to be. It is still in there because I promised my daughter we would give it the full 48 hours to make sure when we started. I think it just wasn’t strong enough to break out on its own.

Momma is getting stressed as they begin hatching. I'm thinking this a first time Momma. If your constantly looking your causing stress and she is killing them...
Definitely not saying your fault because young mothers will kill hatchlings.

I don’t think that is it. They’ve already hatched two and we are only going in to make sure that they have food and water and to free them so they have more than just the shed each day when we let everyone else out. We give them the shed during the night while everyone else is in the enclosed run. When we let everyone else out in the yard in the morning we remove the door so they can get outside in the run to stretch their legs and get in the kiddie pool we put in there (plus, we’ve been doing this for nearly 2 months now with them on those nests. I doubt they are stressed too much by the 8 year old who brings them food so they don’t have to go out with the boys. Lol)

It’s been two days. Even my daughter is willing to call this one. She did get some good news though. Two new babies this morning when she went to feed and water them. :)

Attachments

• 30AE7737-DD44-4ECF-A9CB-65BCB562337D.jpeg
    30AE7737-DD44-4ECF-A9CB-65BCB562337D.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom