Hatching Ducklings

Ducky2834

Hatching
Aug 13, 2021
Hi, this is the first time I’ve hatched duck eggs in an incubator. I have 8 duck eggs that were due to hatch this week. When candled before the incubator went into lockdown they were all moving.

First born hatched 2 days ago then second yesterday and third today. A fourth is externally pipped and looks like it should hatch tomorrow.
The ducklings are dry and fluffy and look at the stage to leave the incubator. Other eggs haven’t hatched yet, everything I’ve read says not to get ducklings out until all eggs have hatched or I risk ‘shrink wrapping’ the unhatched eggs.
Does anyone have any advice on what to do? They are in 2 Brinsea mini incubators. They did start incubation under a broody chicken but she sadly died mid way through. We got the eggs into the incubators quickly but they seem to be at different stages. Is it a case of getting the ducklings out and hoping for the best for the eggs that are left?

Hi, this is the first time I’ve hatched duck eggs in an incubator. I have 8 duck eggs that were due to hatch this week. When candled before the incubator went into lockdown they were all moving.

First born hatched 2 days ago then second yesterday and third today. A fourth is externally pipped and looks like it should hatch tomorrow.
The ducklings are dry and fluffy and look at the stage to leave the incubator. Other eggs haven’t hatched yet, everything I’ve read says not to get ducklings out until all eggs have hatched or I risk ‘shrink wrapping’ the unhatched eggs.
Does anyone have any advice on what to do? They are in 2 Brinsea mini incubators. They did start incubation under a broody chicken but she sadly died mid way through. We got the eggs into the incubators quickly but they seem to be at different stages. Is it a case of getting the ducklings out and hoping for the best for the eggs that are left?
You need to get those ducklings out. Ducks are prone to dehydration so they need water.

@Crazy Maizie
duckling 1, 2 and 3 out of incubators and doing well. Duckling 4 hatched and is currently drying off. Fingers crossed if any of the other eggs are viable they still hatch. I’m paranoid about shrink wrapped ducklings :rolleyes:

Photo of first and second born 8B6131C3-2F47-4D0A-B21F-B9378E377F78.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom