Hatching eggs in lower temperature?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
Hello everyone, i have had trouble getting the temperature up today. So im actually not using an incubator because im using my incubator to hatch out chicks that will hatch later. I ordered more eggs so this chick will not be alone. They will also be due soon but this one is on day 20. I am using a brooder (not the chick kind) an rcom 90 brooder that i usually use for injured animals and baby birds. It is now about 6 years old and might need to be serviced. It had never failed to keep temperature or humidity stable but it decided to fail now. I am now putting a towel over the front viewing area so it can keep temperature better. It has helped but it only got up to around 98 f. If i turn it up now im scared it might be 105 or more tomorrow morning (9.00 now at my time) and cook the chick. I candled the chick (i am able to do this without the temperature/humidity dropping as the brooder is able to only let hands slip in it can quickly heat back up but not to the right temperature not sure why.) im thinking its because of all of the water i am adding because of lockdown (does it matter?). But anyway the chick is moving alot still but will it be able to hatch out okay? Tomorrow is day 21 with temperature at around 98 and humidity at 65?

The temp will take a bit to settle in, after you add water, so that could be the issue. But 98 should still be sufficient to finish the hatch. It could be a tiny bit delayed, but I wouldn't worry too much.

You could also stick the egg in the other incubator with the other eggs, maybe in a basket, or some kind of separator away from the other eggs? Or move all the other eggs to the brooder and hatch the chick in the incubator, then move the other eggs back. A slight temp decrease for the other eggs should be ok for a day or so.

The temp will take a bit to settle in, after you add water, so that could be the issue. But 98 should still be sufficient to finish the hatch. It could be a tiny bit delayed, but I wouldn't worry too much.

You could also stick the egg in the other incubator with the other eggs, maybe in a basket, or some kind of separator away from the other eggs? Or move all the other eggs to the brooder and hatch the chick in the incubator, then move the other eggs back. A slight temp decrease for the other eggs should be ok for a day or so.
i was not sure if i should risk one egg over 4 , i do have space for it but the turning and low humidity worries me. im also worried about the baby fluff being around the rest of the eggs. it got to the high 98s so hoping it would be okay for tonight. just had to ask here wanting to know from people who experienced the same thing.

this morning the temperature dropped to 96 which made me panic. this morning was so cold and i think someone had opened the door. i closed it quickly. the chick had piped but im not sure if it is okay since the humidity had dropped to 60 and im not sure how long the temperature had dropped. i might have heardai pip (i hope i am not just hallucinating). hoping the chick is okay

39BE3A86-60A3-457A-ACF9-9458660152D0.jpeg
The baby had zipped! I saw it with its head in the eggshell. That was unexpected as i don’t think i have seen a baby piped and zipped so fast. I got a mix of heritage brahma eggs and im guessing this one is a dark? Im letting it dry up now what a stressful hatching experience i had with this one whew. The chick seems to be a bit small maybe because of its pretty large air cell. The egg was big so it was surprising the baby can make it out so fast. I think he is as big as my larger than average bantam cochin when he was a chick. Im glad i could finally hatch out a brahma chick. Now to wait for the upcoming hatches…

Back
Top Bottom