Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still having hatcher issues and I am just SICK of it. I need something that I can do BIG hatches in. I had a thought..... tell me if this is crazy or not.... but what about a chest of drawers? I can take the bottoms out of the drawers and replace that with hardware cloth. Insulate the whole inside and back. Put all the heating, fan and water in the bottom and maybe vent holes too and some at the top too. I could get LOTS of hatching baskets in that I think. I could probably find one for free somewhere or at least cheap. We bought a whole set for $25 once, but we are using it. I love the idea of pulling a drawer out to check on the hatching. I don't think it would let much heat or humidity escape either sense it would be on the side and not the top.

I am still having hatcher issues and I am just SICK of it.  I need something that I can do BIG hatches in.  I had a thought..... tell me if this is crazy or not.... but what about a chest of drawers?  I can take the bottoms out of the drawers and replace that with hardware cloth.  Insulate the whole inside and back.  Put all the heating, fan and water in the bottom and maybe vent holes too and some at the top too. I could get LOTS of hatching baskets in that I think.  I could probably find one for free somewhere or at least cheap.  We bought a whole set for $25 once, but we are using it.  I love the idea of pulling a drawer out to check on the hatching.  I don't think it would let much heat or humidity escape either sense it would be on the side and not the top.

I think it sounds like an excellent idea! As creative as you are, I would think it will be a pretty simple project. I like the idea of the drawers too - easy to contain and clean up any messes. Plus it could be set up to look like a nice piece of furniture.

Quote: I wish I was as creative as you guys think I am. I am lazy and do the easy thing most of the time.
gig.gif
I think I am going to give it a whirl as soon as I find a FREE chest.

Last edited:
Quote: I wish I was as creative as you guys think I am. I am lazy and do the easy thing most of the time.
gig.gif
I would cut viewing holes in the fronts of the drawers and place plexi glass or glass into them so you can look without opening. You can get under cabinet puck lights for each drawer and turn them on as needed for looking inside. Circular holes in the top with a cover that can rotate allowing air flow to be controlled as well.

this is how the top of our new bator/hatcher is set up for air flow control

gig.gif
I would cut viewing holes in the fronts of the drawers and place plexi glass or glass into them so you can look without opening. You can get under cabinet puck lights for each drawer and turn them on as needed for looking inside. Circular holes in the top with a cover that can rotate allowing air flow to be controlled as well.

this is how the top of our new bator/hatcher is set up for air flow control
OH I like those ideas. I had though about plexiglass on the front of the drawers, but I would still open them to look at the ones in the back
tongue.png
Keep the ideas coming y'all are great!

Got to go to the farm! Have a good day guys.

Hi Guys!

I have my first case of turkey spraddle leg. I have done the toes, but not the splay. I have watched a couple of videos on it. I have seen that some people keep them confined during treatment. I was thinking the Coban is a good method. Any advice???

Why did the chicken cross the road?

My wife sent me these pictures tonight after I got to work. (Night Shift)

The kids found her in the woods across the street from us. Apparently one of my pullets decided she did not like me taking her eggs every day so she moved her operation. This is my first time having a broody hatch. I'm so proud!

I LOVE Broodies. wonder what the chicks are! LOL they all don't look like her... I have a girl trying to go broody on me right now. might just let her.
I check on all my neighbors as most of them are elderly. We have about a 4 mile radius we check on. Living in the country is the BEST, but here "neighbors" are not usually "close". (But as luck would have it the one I can see HATES all form of poultry!)
We have a bucket on out tractor and I have never regretted the expense.... We offer it to anyone who wants to use it, although it is usually easier if we just go help than than give "lessons". Had a neighbor want to borrow a power saw Friday, but needed to know how to start one.... was a little worried when he left with it, but he returned unharmed.
smile.png
Me please!!!!!! We have a guy here with a bucket tractor but he scares me...not terribly good with it.
Quote:
That would be great fun!!! I need some one around who is creative and enjoys food as much as I do. I mostly use modeling chocolate, I have used fondant, but the chocolate tastes better and its super easy to make. I have never tried marzipan. I know what you mean about finding the time... I have a 2 year old, a 1 year old and I am 35 weeks pregnant with our third boy. I have found that decorating cakes and cookies is one of the few things I can do from home and get paid for. It's mostly just a hobby at this point. Here are a few things Ive done recently.
LOVE your cakes!!!! I am creative but not with cooking. I am in awe of people who can cook.

I did an Easter pysanky workshop yesterday but only 4 people showed up. Was probably more fun that way anyway, I get stressed when in front of a group. Got to try pysanky on duck eggs
love.gif
and because there were so few people, I got to take about 8 eggs home with me. The texture is different from chicken eggs. smoother. takes the dye a little differently.

I sometimes wish we all lived closer so I could invite y'all over. I just cleaned the house and it looks okay for about 10 minutes until the dogs come back inside. Have them down with the goats right now. not sure if they will protect them or not...rather lazy. but some of the things that start to leaf out early are doing so...wild roses, honeysuckle, that sort of thing and the goats are so excited to have something besides hay. need to work on the brooders...the 41 chicks are outgrowing the current one and developing the flying ability so need to make a cover. we threw this one together in about 5 minutes when I realized the plastic tubs we had been using just weren't going to cut it with this many chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom