Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it could just be a wording issue. Such as: "greenfire line"
would make me think the birds where directly from GFF. If the wording was something like "from greenfire lines (or stock) it could be several generations down. Several lines should be announced as such. I guess you could say something like "50% GFF parent stock"

I dunno. I have always wondered when seeing eggs on eBay (BCM for example say wade/Davis) if that is accurate or not.

Editted to say for me PERSONALLY... Having a flock of birds in your coop from GFF would be GFF lines, but once you sell or giveaway any hatchlings from those birds, they are then your stock. I would say their parentage was from GFF lines, but they would be your stock.

Last edited:
Again, I'm not wanting to use anyone's name but my own. I see places using the names of breeders with excellent reputations and wondered if this wes really how it should be done...

In my opinion nope...that's not how it really should be done and I applaud you for wanting to use your own name with your chickens. That's all...back to shutting up now.
gig.gif

I personally only have birds I have put together from various places. I just see a lot of names floating around when I look at various web sites. I was just curious as to how/with who's consent they use someone else's name. For instance if we buy a new female to breed, the pups have our kennel name. But, the sire, dam and grandparents names are ours to use as well to say where the blood line originated. I personally would need a second and third job in order to buy Greenfire birds. I can only dream.......

I don't think that's common even in the dog world, usually if you buy a pup to show, work or breed, the originating kennel's name must be in the registered name. Then the next generation is associated with your kennel name. I'm sure it differs breed to breed but that is mostly what I have seen. The kennel that actually bred the dog maintains in the reg. name.

We raise and show registered beagles. I'm used to having at least a 5 generation pedigree. I just wanted to know how to advertise chickens.
Whoa! Back up that train!!!! What is your "beagle" name? You can't drop that on us here as many of us also show dogs and throw in a chicken show when we find them.... can't contain my excitement.... must go get chores done
k/

I now say my RIR originated from Underwood lines.

"My Name's line, originating from the stock of so-and-so."

I would agree. You only have the origin of your stock, but you have to decide what to breed. If you buy culls from a well known breeder, say two birds with the same fault, or even opposite faults, you will not end up with their quality. But it would be a place to start for you.

You have to make well planned breeding decisions. It always amazes me how many people think, "my bird is too dark, so I'll breed it to a bird that is too light". You'll just end up with birds that are too dark or too light. Genetics don't work that way, you aren't blending the two faults. If you have a bird that is too "whatever", you need to breed it to a bird that is perfect in that area and try to not introduce a new fault.

That would be like breeding dogs, you don't breed a dog with a roached back to a dog with a swayed back and expect to get level toplines...............
ep.gif

Deb

That was what I was trying to say. When we obtain a female her name remains the same. It is only after we breed her and register the puppies does our name enter the picture. And yes, I was wondering about the validity of some of the people who post on "other sites ie., Craig's list, eBay etc" Are being totally honest with everyone?
Our kennel name is RedBrush Kennel. Our beagles go to AKC field trials and conformation shows. I am also a conformation judge. I only judge beagles.

Quote: Deb
Excellent explanation of always taking minor fault to not-faulty for that! I have a hard time explaining that in poultry conversations but you did it well.

Ex on saying from So&so -- At a national specialty (only that breed shows and is actually a convention - for non-dog'rs) I had a particularly good run in bitches for ch and not-yet-champ. One lovely old timer stopped me in the hotel hall and was gushing about how much she loved all of my entries. And, how come I didn't have ms So&so's dogs 'cause she couldn't stand any of them. I didn't tell her but changed the subject 'cause all of my foundation was of Mz S&so breeding! I just tend to concentrate on a few traits so, yes, mine LOOK like mine and in the catalog my kennel name was listed top and bottom. I don't know if she ever looked up the pedigrees and remembered ....... Yes, having a set of chicks from a top breeder three generations ago means pretty much nothing if you don't know how to use it. Or, maybe you just like a different focus of traits.

Ok - now that I know how to advertise my poultry, does anyone have any insight on foods? I have several different breeds and feed each group something different and I never change brands. I worry about upsetting their systems. I started by going on recommendations for the breed as far as protein, additives, mineral count etc. do you all think I may be able to "combine" so that I'm not buying 5 kinds of food a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom