Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My unsupervised period is coming to an end. No more chickie shipments for me after this week.
hide.gif
I'm not complaining though. I'll be thrilled to have him home.
Yeah! I'm always thrilled too. And totally bummed when mines gone, but there are times when he's really making me mad.....

I have a decision to make now. It looks like I have blue and black double laced barnies. Now I love how the blues look but you all know how much I love black birds. Those black barnies are gorgeous!!!!
If you like the black birds then you would love my black dutch bantams. They are a glossy black that shines when the sun hits them, beautiful birds they are

Today is the day I am killing my rooster. This whole day has dragged and I am feeling guilt now. I have been planning to do this for a long time now and haven't had a twinge the whole time, now that it is time, I am feeling bad.

I have a question about the SFHs. My son read on another thread that they need to be fed differently than other chickens. Something about them requiring a much higher protein content (he read as meat). How do you guys feed yours? The ones I hatched ha e been eating game bird starter because they are still in with the turkeys, but the new ones are getting a 16% layer mix. Do I need to increase their protein?
I feed my SFHs an organic mash that is 18% protein, but they have bugs and greens all year in my climate. They have been very hardy - we love them! I have started feeding fermented feed in the past couple of weeks and they really like it.
well, I took my ducklings and put them in a kiddie pool in the living room, got one of those rubbermaid bins and cut the top and fitted it with wire mesh, for their water. They are still slinging it everywhere.... Gosh, they are messy! :smack Why did I want ducklings, again? :/ I should have my head examined.
I have Cayuga ducklings and they were a MESS after 2 weeks inside. I moved them to the outside, wire-bottomed brooder (they are in with the chicks). I put rubber shelf liner over half the brooder and use pine pellets for bedding. I put the food and nipple waterers at the other end. Any water they sling around goes through the wire and the bedding stays dry on the other side. It has nearly eliminated the mess!!! Woot! I do take the ducklings out twice a day so they can splash in water and wash out their eyes and nose. I take that time to give them brewer's yeast or a vitamin B supplement (liquid drops) to make sure they get enough niacin. This works great for us!
I believe, if you keep all the uncrested together, you will only hatch uncrested. If you keep all the crested together, you will probably get all crested, and maybe some uncrested, as the crest is dominant, I think. (Anyone more knowledgeable about the genetics of it, feel free to correct me if I am wrong). However, breeding crested to crested can create large crests which are not good for a free-ranging flock. Others have mentioned the possibility of vaulted skulls when breeding crested to crested, but I have not seen it yet. At the moment, I have only non-crested roos over both crested and non-crested hens.
Two or 3 of the chicks I hatched from your eggs have vaulted skulls. Two of them have gigantic crests! They are adorable. :) This is Rockstar AFTER a trim lol

Last edited:
I have a decision to make now. It looks like I have blue and black double laced barnies. Now I love how the blues look but you all know how much I love black birds. Those black barnies are gorgeous!!!!

I know the blues are more rare, but the blacks are beautiful! They are so shiny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom