Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything over 24 hours old is not a day old and will require testing within 14 days of shipping. So if someone hatches on a Saturday to ship on Monday they cant because VA wants the flock tested within 14 days of shipping. Each and everytime you want ship anything that is over 24 hours old you need your flock tested again. Its why so many private breeders wont mess with VA, and why we are done messing with VA ourselves thanks to that insane rule.
and I don't blame you. I was just hoping that they were doing MG becasue then maybe they would support the testing more. right now it is rather expensive.

Now as far as the culling issue. Everyone who has chickens will eventually HAVE to put a bird down. Chick, juvenile, adult. At some point a broken leg, other injury or bad hatch (cross beak, bad leg ect) will need put down and all with poultry/waterfowl of anytype need to be prepared for that fact and part of raising them.
yeah, and if an animal is in obvious pain then I hope I can bring myself to do it.

farmers arent the only ones who have to deal with putting animals down for the well being of the animal. You mentioned using a Vet, what if it is midnight on a Saturday, or a holiday?

Just like we (meaning my family) have to have a hurricane plan for us and the animals, ANYONE raising any animal and or hatching eggs needs a plan in place before you ever get started. Even the hobbiest pet flock owners NEED a plan in place and need to understand holidays and middle of the night emergencies do happen.

everyone has choices and rghts to those choices, but remember you chose to take on these animals and if something comes up or happens you need to be ready, willing, able to end their suffering because a vet isnt always going to be open. i would encourage you to call your local vet offices too. Many wont even touch poultry.

farmers arent the only ones who have to deal with putting animals down for the well being of the animal. You mentioned using a Vet, what if it is midnight on a Saturday, or a holiday?

Just like we (meaning my family) have to have a hurricane plan for us and the animals, ANYONE raising any animal and or hatching eggs needs a plan in place before you ever get started. Even the hobbiest pet flock owners NEED a plan in place and need to understand holidays and middle of the night emergencies do happen.

everyone has choices and rghts to those choices, but remember you chose to take on these animals and if something comes up or happens you need to be ready, willing, able to end their suffering because a vet isnt always going to be open. i would encourage you to call your local vet offices too. Many wont even touch poultry.
I relied on DH a lot to put down our birds. But then he was gone all winter this year and I had to do it all. Wasn't easy especially when dealing with my favorites. It broke my heart more to watch them suffer then it did to end their suffering.

I can't believe one of my White Bresse hens is broody. Are they known for that? I didn't think a bird raised for meat would actually broodiness in them.
th.gif

I'm thinking of letting her raise some little meat chicks. They've been doing great on their limited free range. This weekend I plan to cut them loose on the side yard.

I can't believe one of my White Bresse hens is broody. Are they known for that? I didn't think a bird raised for meat would actually broodiness in them.
th.gif
I'm thinking of letting her raise some little meat chicks. They've been doing great on their limited free range. This weekend I plan to cut them loose on the side yard.
I would let her hatch them! I love broodys! They are non of the pain and all of the gain in my book. Just checked my Broody momma and all five sweet little turkeys came out to play. For sure 3 boys and one girl and I'm on the fence about one. They are so cute trying to nip momma in the beak. I love how Broody hens will let their babies do almost anything too them, but if it was another bird the fight would be on. One grabbed her snood and pulled with all his might. Momma just let him. It's soooo cute.

I would let her hatch them! I love broodys! They are non of the pain and all of the gain in my book.

Just checked my Broody momma and all five sweet little turkeys came out to play. For sure 3 boys and one girl and I'm on the fence about one. They are so cute trying to nip momma in the beak. I love how Broody hens will let their babies do almost anything too them, but if it was another bird the fight would be on.

One grabbed her snood and pulled with all his might. Momma just let him. It's soooo cute.
Oh I candled a few turkey eggs last night and I have turkeys growing. I pulled one that didn't develop but I had cracked that one by dropping it.
hide.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom