Hatching for January and February

Hey, thought I was the only nut to hatch eggs this time of year. ;-). Just set 10 RIR in yesterday in my LG. So due date is Feb 6th. Got my fingers crossed. eggs took 13 day to gather from just one hen. Her eggs weight in at 71- 75 grams. Hoping to have a few more jumbo layers next month.

Oh, I have 41 mixed bantam eggs in my incubator right now, they go on lockdown next Friday!

I'm relatively new to raising chickens and ducks, but since getting my first ones March 2013 I've been completely obsessed with them! I received a incubator for Christmas and I COULD NOT wait to try it out. I put 3 chicken eggs in it on January 8th, so they'll hopefully hatch on the 29th. I got sucked right in and on the 15th I put 3 more chicken eggs and a mallard egg without thinking about what I'm going to do about the second set during the first lockdown. I've attempted to candle the eggs but two are blue so they're impossible to see into. The other ones are brown and seem to be progressing but I'm really not sure. My candler isn't anything fancy, it came free with the incubator and I surely don't know what to look for (besides comparing it to pictures I found on the internet).

Here's to hoping at least one of these little buggers makes it so I know I'm doing something kind of right!!

Last edited:
I have about 48 eggs due on Thursday, AND most of the chicks already sold!

But the big excitement for me are the 5-6 sebastopol goose eggs coming this year! Not my first time with geese, but my first time with sebastopols, and first time hatching geese out!

I have 6 barn yard mix and 12 cochin frizzled bantam ( at least my son says that is what they are). They are due February 4th, and our first batch. They are my sons science project and if they hatch will be his 4H project. Though I have become quite attached to the eggs myself...:).

Last edited:
I'm new to incubating and also did a staggered hatch for my first time well today was hatch day and 9 out of 10 hatched wed to Thursday the other 36 are due to start hatching!!! I'm very excited this batch was just barnyard mix but after hatching the lady I got the eggs from told me I ended up with 5 astrolorps I think that's how ya spell it but still they are my babies and was very easy to do I can say I will be hatching many more chicks and ready to get my breeding pair of welsh Harlequin ducks so i can try my hands at ducks already have my next set of eggs picked out will be EEs polish and a few silkies then a few barnyard mix from another person so I have a wide range of genetics

What cute babies! I myself am still waiting to see babies. I have a muscovy duckling that should hatch at any day, and 2 more go on lockdown on the 24th and some barnyard chicken eggs go on lockdown on the 24th as well..

Back
Top Bottom