hatching friday!!!!!

A few is cute and fun but I have about 300 down in brooders. It takes me quite a while to clean them each day, not to mention feeding and watering, checking butts for pasty problems, umbilical cords for sores, toes for problems and what not. Most of the kids are healthy but there always seems to be one in each tub that has a problem. I figure it is a "runt", one that has the lowest immune system and gets pushed outside the heat source and away from the food dish the most. I try to be vigilant but there is a lot of work involved.

Hatching is the easy part. Growing them into healthy happy birds is more of a challenge.
barnie.gif

Quote:
For sure! I get great hatch rates most of the time and the chicks always do fine until right around four weeks and then the problems sneek in there. Different breeds start outgrowing each other, runts are harder to keep track of and safe, cleaning brooders goes from a chore to cruel and unusual punishment.Don't even get me started on "picking." why cant they stay cute little puff balls that dont eat much?
idunno.gif

I don't get anyone picking on another. I just get the push aways.
As mine grow I switch them to brooders where their size is the same. Since I have so many different breeds and sizes that I hatch at one time I am constantly moving them to brooder boxes that fits them. Small bantams go into a brooder with ones that are about their size but maybe a week or two older. Those huge Langshans/Jersey Giant kids go in with the Marans or older Cochins that are bigger because of age, but not pushy. I have a few Frizzles or Sizzles that will be feathered out cuddling with a fuzzy chicks a month younger but just as big. It is adorable to see.

Here is another photo of what went on today........

9332_another_emerges.jpg

So how many does everyone have?

I have 24 out now and 4 more that are zipping, then they are done.
ya.gif

And I put another round in the hatcher tomorrow to hatch out on Tuesday. Ugh....good thing they are so cute!
jumpy.gif

I still haven't seen anyone else's pix of their new babies.....

I have one pip! and signs of movment andpeeping in one serama egg, maybe some other eggs not sure yet.

SO EXCITED!

One egg left to hatch. It is a big Marans egg so I know it may take a bit longer.
The temp bounces between 99-100 and humidity is going between 60-65%.
I have removed all the eggs and the chicks are flopped out snoozing. They barely kept me awake last night. Good old bantams! Not nearly as noisy as my large fowl chicks. When one does make a racket I see that it is a Marans or Langshans baby.

Quote:
woot.gif
!
im lurking on the hatching threads, because this will be me in a few weeks and im gleaning advice.

haha! That was me a few weeks ago, and now Im saying it!

Anyway 1 pip, 3 peepers.

ya.gif

The last egg hasn't done anything else so I think that one is kaput.
I took all the others down to the barn and put them in their new brooder box. I have the door open to the room since it got up to 65 today and they are staying out from under the heat lamp. Close enough to be warm but not directly under it. I let my chicks gauge the temp they want and do not use thermometers anymore.
Tonight I will cover the top with a piece of cardboard for added warmth and clean the hatcher for another hatch due Tuesday.

ok here's the count so far, out of 32 eggs we have 20 hatched and in brooder. of the other 12 two are pipped. how long do I wait? 21 days yesterday. also how do you post pics?

Back
Top Bottom