hatching geese eggs

Ok, so I found what I think to be a goose egg along a side walk at an Urgent Care. I brought it home and in the bator it went. Now what do I do? I'm used to chickens, not geese. I will try to candle in serveral days. Do these eggs take longer in the bator?
idunno.gif

Bsntomsn, geese eggs take between 28 and 32 days is what I have heard. I suggest you read through this thread if you have not already and also the sticky, by pete55.

I currently have 3 toulouse eggs in my bator on day 29, this is only my 2nd time hatching goslings. All three have internally pipped and now I am just waiting for them to externally pip. The 4th egg died a couple days ago.
sad.png
I sure hope I have a better time with these eggs than with my chicken eggs that hatched, well.. mostly not, earlier this week.

OMG, I may be doing a BOGOFF on Dewlaps at this rate. I've got another broody one this morning. I've hatch 12 so far, I've got another 14 eggs in the bator at day 14, there are 2 sharing a nest of 12 eggs due in about 2 weeks, I've got another 2 on nests, ones got 4 eggs and I don't know how many are in the other and I've got another broody one this morning and I don't know how many shes on!! I've got ganders getting stoppy all over the place and yesterday I took my 12 out for a walk and there were eyes bulging everwhere and a gander trying to steal them!! What fun
big_smile.png

Judging by last years results I'm not expecting too much from the ones on the nests, they ended up crushing the eggs or they just disappearing but you never know
fl.gif

Hi All

Back after a brief break as busy with family. You're going to have your hands full with all of those goslings Maria
lol.png

Buffbeauty - how've yougot on with replacing your Dewlap eggs? Is the breeder going to send anymore as its getting on in the laying season.

Ours have all stopped laying now and broke the nest up of the last broody Toulouse today. I'd given her 4 Dewlap eggs to sit 12 days ago. One infertile and 3 developing well but 2 have ruptured air cells so now being incubated upright. My own silly fault as should have put them in the incubator
barnie.gif
The female's just been too clumsy and heavy on the eggs.

On a postive note this week we've hatched 4 baby Macaws with another 2 internally pipped and another 4 Delaps from the buff female.

Finally got my new incubator today so just trying to figure it all out now
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
I went ahead and pulled the dewlaps. Opened them no development. Last I talked to her she talked like she would replace them but maybe she was waiting in more eggs? You know how emailing goes. I let her know I was definitely open to getting a few goslings if she hatched some. She has a trio of 2 1/2 year olds for sale. So tempting!! It would cost as much to ship them the 1000+ miles as they are worth. We'll see! Other Toulouse doing good so far

Hi Buffbeauty

Good news about the Toulouse eggs but a shame about the Dewlaps. I would go for egg replacement. Why sell 2-3 year olds and shipping making the price double. Have you checked if Holderread has any sexed pairs of goslings avaialable as that would be the route I would go down.

Pete
wink.png

Hi

Buffbeauty - I think the eggs and/or goslings are the way forward. I've had year old Dewlaps breed so the wait isnt that long. If you do buy goslings then try to get a sexed pair and see the parent stock first.

Bookerdog - WOW I knew you'd be busy with all your hatchlings. The goslings are really coming along now and looks like a good ratio of males and females. Hey - you're lucky that Mrs Bookerdog is also into the poultry
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom