hatching guinea eggs, need help

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Ok, I had nine guinea eggs in an old incubator and only one temp/humidity gauge which is in with blue orp eggs. Now the keets should have hatched last Thurs. and I saw no pips until today. But I also saw snow white membranes. I chipped away the shell only and then wrapped warm wet paper towels around the membranes leaving towels open near beaks. Four died in shell, others I later, helped out. They don't look very good at all. It seems like they had bowel movements in the shell which tells me they were ready to hatch last week? What should I do? They are lying there now drying out but don't seem strong at all. What should the humidity be during a keet hatch? Thanks to any who can help me. I have more guinea eggs getting ready to go into incubator as soon as the blue orps hatch this week. Guinea hens are sitting on the eggs ...out in the side field right now. I want to take the eggs and put them into the incubator with the temp/humidity gauge when the blue orps hatch.

I do same as chicks, raising humidity at end, mine have hatched anywhere from 25-29 days, if slightly cooler they may have taken longer. Mine were in turner till day 24 spose to hatch26-28 days, but hatched within 24 hours of being taken out of turner.

Mine tend to hatch dry in bators too. I think, maybe, they need a little higher humidity. I have 42 in the bator now that I am going to candle tonight. My last ones in the bator hatched on day 26 if I remember right. I have better luck under broodies with guineas, than in bators.

As far as what to do with your hatchlings. I think I'd put them under a heat lamp and give them sugar water until tommorow. Be sure and dip there beaks. I have had to help them out and they would look awful, but they still lived. Guineas are very hardy. I bet they will make it!

thanks guys, I appreciate the help. That is what I was doing trying to raise the humidity the last few days but still seem to need a lot more. They are now struggling to get up on their feet or to just move around on their sides. Not very strong as yet so I am keeping them in the bator till morning and then plan on giving them sugar water..what about some Poly Visol in the water, too?

Back
Top Bottom