Hatching help pip!

Lmfletcher

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hello, first time Hatcher! in a nut shell, got 6 eggs on day 21. 11pmish first pip, woke up this morning and 4 more had pips ... my 11pm pip has cracked a considerable amount but not come through the shell yet. Another one I’m wondering about , part of the shell has come off but white/yellow membrane showing. No further breaks. All eggs even the non pip are very active. I’m just concerned my 11pm is getting frustrated cause there’s a lot of trying but the shell just won’t come of, all very loud and vocal.

any thoughts ?
pics also so you can see,

Attachments

• B6EC65A0-219F-4930-9C4B-FBEF8367F3F2.jpeg
    B6EC65A0-219F-4930-9C4B-FBEF8367F3F2.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 73479515-65D7-4EB9-B3D3-9E2A827B512E.jpeg
    73479515-65D7-4EB9-B3D3-9E2A827B512E.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 15
Hello, first time Hatcher! in a nut shell, got 6 eggs on day 21. 11pmish first pip, woke up this morning and 4 more had pips ... my 11pm pip has cracked a considerable amount but not come through the shell yet. Another one I’m wondering about , part of the shell has come off but white/yellow membrane showing. No further breaks. All eggs even the non pip are very active. I’m just concerned my 11pm is getting frustrated cause there’s a lot of trying but the shell just won’t come of, all very loud and vocal.

any thoughts ?
pics also so you can see,

Give them time - a few of my eggs took 24hrs from pip to zip. They looked like they were trying, but they were actually just resting. When they want to zip, they will! I also hatched in the Brinsea Mini. You only have to start paying more attention when it's been over 24 hrs since they pipped (and some can take up to 36hrs to zip, though all of mine had zipped by the 24hr mark). As long as they can breath, they're good :)

Thanks for replying. 11pm is trying so hard bless it , it’s not giving in at all. If they have externally pipped will they have actually pierced the membrane?

One of mine made a very very tiny hole that I couldn't see until later. Usually they do. But even if they don't right away, they're still in the air sac so this should be too much of a concern right away if it has pipped I the proper location.

Hello, so these two , the shells have came away but thr membrane looks very dry and white, I can see they are trying to pierce through but not breaking the membrane . It’s be 20 hours , what do you think I should do ? Does the membrane need to be wet to break or dry ?

Hello, so these two , the shells have came away but thr membrane looks very dry and white, I can see they are trying to pierce through but not breaking the membrane . It’s be 20 hours , what do you think I should do ? Does the membrane need to be wet to break or dry ?

I would wait until the 24hr mark after the external pip before even considering assisting. Sometimes there's a good reason for chicks not hatching, even if you had the right incubation conditions (e.g. weak, improper nutrition of parent stock, etc.) I had membranes that looked dry on my last hatch and they hatched fine when they were ready. If you do end up deciding to assist, read up on it and be very very careful as it can cause more harm than good.

I would wait until the 24hr mark after the external pip before even considering assisting. Sometimes there's a good reason for chicks not hatching, even if you had the right incubation conditions (e.g. weak, improper nutrition of parent stock, etc.) I had membranes that looked dry on my last hatch and they hatched fine when they were ready. If you do end up deciding to assist, read up on it and be very very careful as it can cause more harm than good.

hi, so I did step in and help as the white membrane you could see wasnt attached to the egg so some reason (humidity) it has vacuumed it :( our water pit for the humidity runs out really quick and we topped it up yesterdsy morning so all I can think of is the chick pipped before we could see and then lifting the lid caused a drop. I removed half the shell, no blood at all , looks healthy and seems to be sleeping. Still chirping to another next to it that is zipping really well.
ps it water on the mat, followed the instructions on here . It’s exhausting this haha I’m only worried about my other egg that the membrane js white, it’s still pecking at it so il see how it gets on,

Attachments

• 186D5836-483A-478F-B1A7-B1C3DFD73C13.jpeg
    186D5836-483A-478F-B1A7-B1C3DFD73C13.jpeg
    621 KB · Views: 13
I had one that took 24 hrs that I was worried about, but it made it out on its own. I've always opened the incubator on and off during hatching (only ever very quickly though and to take chicks out after they've dried or to right an egg that pipped at the bottom) and have never had problems with chicks hatching.

Yeah I’m not going to assist any others cause the umbilical cord is still on the egg , only slightly so clearly for whatever reason it was ready. It just seemed distressed . :( very active . I have two out now . They just keep falling to sleep is that normal ?

Yeah I’m not going to assist any others cause the umbilical cord is still on the egg , only slightly so clearly for whatever reason it was ready. It just seemed distressed . :( very active . I have two out now . They just keep falling to sleep is that normal ?

Yes, they often rest a lot during and after hatching. Just keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom