Hatching incubated eggs in cartons?

How do you hatch?

• in egg cartons

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • lay the eggs on their side

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters
SO PRECIOUS! After reading what Sally said I'm not going to ever try no. I'm so glad yours are doing so well.

Standards. Temp and humidity were stable. I have 2 thermometers and 2 thermometers/hygros. I candled and 2 early quitters
hit.gif
3 DIS on about day 19 or 20 best I can tell.
humidity stable? meaning what??????????
roll.png

I have come to the conclusion (and will vote on the poll as such) that i won't use a tray during hatching again.

did it work? sure, i didn't have any real issues at all BUT in my opinion it is more stressful on the chicks as they tend to stumble in and out of hatched shells constantly. the bigger issue, at least for myself, was once the majority hatched there really wasn't any room between the tray and the edge of the hatcher to allow them to freely lay and get comfy and they were constantly climbing back up on the tray and falling into the empty shells over and over.

this morning i bumped the humidity up so i could quickly open the top and remove the chicks and the tray laying the remaining eggs on their side. out of 27 viable eggs at current i have 20 chicks (one has a slight exposed navel) in the brooder, 3 eggs that are starting the zipping process and 4 that haven't pipped at all yet.

I have come to the conclusion (and will vote on the poll as such) that i won't use a tray during hatching again.

did it work? sure, i didn't have any real issues at all BUT in my opinion it is more stressful on the chicks as they tend to stumble in and out of hatched shells constantly. the bigger issue, at least for myself, was once the majority hatched there really wasn't any room between the tray and the edge of the hatcher to allow them to freely lay and get comfy and they were constantly climbing back up on the tray and falling into the empty shells over and over.

this morning i bumped the humidity up so i could quickly open the top and remove the chicks and the tray laying the remaining eggs on their side. out of 27 viable eggs at current i have 20 chicks (one has a slight exposed navel) in the brooder, 3 eggs that are starting the zipping process and 4 that haven't pipped at all yet.

Congratulations on your hatch, what beautiful pip squeaks!

humidity stable? meaning what??????????
roll.png
Whoops, sorry.... 35-40 and then 65-75 at lock down

I agree

Happy for you
X2

HELLPP!!SOMETHINGS CRITICLY WRONG with my chick!! I helped it out because it was stuck inside its shell and it had started pipping 2 days ago! It is in the incubator but somethings wrong! The chick just lies down and shouts! It is squirming around it looks like it wants to walk but it can't! And theres WHITE VEINY stuff coming out of it!! PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Where is the white veiny stuff coming from? I can't see the picture very well at all. Picking him up and holding him should calm him down. Keep him warm. Look him over really well while you're holding him. Maybe you can give more details, so we can help.

He may just want to stand up. Sometimes they are just weak from hatching, and need to rest for a while, and the white veiny stuff may just be because he is still wet.

Back
Top Bottom