Hatching with 2 broodies

OMG... you wont believe what just happened. I saw the chickens chasing each other with something dangling from one of the cockerel's beak, and I thought it was a mouse or a mole since we have mole holes all around here. I laughed and watched them play, until they got closer and then I saw it... is that a baby chick???

it was
hit.gif

there was Broody Bertha in the back taking a dirt bath. I went into the run, and found the egg shell. it was not in the coop or near the nest, it was way out in the run. I am thinking she must have accidentally carried it out in her wing, and dropped it on the ground? part of the shell was missing, and there was bright red blood and yolk in the remaining shell. I was able to catch the runner and get the dead chick away from her, and threw it and the shell in the burn barrel.

sigh.. of course, it was a java egg from the breeder, too. just 3 javas left..
they are 16 days old, so it was mostly developed =\
Sorry that happened Viola,
Poor little thing....I wonder if Bertha threw it out of the nest because it wasnt right and one of the others got it then?
Marie
hit.gif

Hey guys how many chicks would you give a big ol fluffy mama? She is my biggest girl and when pancaked can easily fill/ overflow the 14/14 nest box. The chicks are due on the 4th and she will get them probably on the following Monday or Tuesday.

Also my contact who I am chic sitting for hatched Marans babies yesterday. I don't know how many but 9 were set. She is giving me chicks in exchange for watching them while she is on vacation. My sizzle girl has been on the nest for over 24 hours. If she sticks I will give her those chicks on Friday. How many can I give her?
I'm such a rookie at this so I am not much help, but let us know what you decide to do! I worry that MJ will lose track of the 9 that she has!!

Teila, thanks for the idea on the feed tray-- might have to put hubby to work. Phase one of integration went well today, so maaaaaybe the school house will be open before we go on vacation and MJ and the littles can say there in peace and quiet!

Farmer Viola, so sorry about the chick
hugs.gif

Pooman, I am a big fan of deep litter! My big coop has been going since October. It doesn't smell much and really breaks down into almost fine dust. The little coop has yet to get a good culture going on in there. Lots of mixing needed until it starts to break down better.

Free range and fence free introduction of the teenagers to the big flock went fantastic! They got pecked a bit, but that was expected. A few of the boys hung out in the big flock's run all day. Everyone retreated to their respective coops at dusk with an exception of one leghorn boy that was caught in the netting. I could just read his mind as I was walking up…."well, this is embarrassing…" and one of the buff orps was stuck in the run. All and all, a successful day. I was a bit worried because I saw a cooper's hawk yesterday.

I should have two brown leghorns sold tomorrow and have had one inquiry about the cockerels. Hopefully they both work out.

Have a great week everyone!

So a tornado hit my home town... I don't Live there anymore because well... it's the city. My other family lives there still and they just told me. My grandmas place is flooded which never happened before. Theres damage all over town.

Bad news for my coop... barn ish... there was so much moisture from the storms that two of my chicks died within 18 hours... one died in our hands after we told God to send her home so we don't have to, and he did... I cried so hard. It was my porcelain D'uccle. The other was a silver laced sebright.

Sorry that happened Viola,
Poor little thing....I wonder if Bertha threw it out of the nest because it wasnt right and one of the others got it then?
Marie:hit

Good chance this is correct, very unlikely,it was caught under a wing.., given how they steal and accept eggs at the start and manage them, they arent gonna accidently drop an egg outside the nest. Broody knows best. But its still sucky. :(

And in other news, have set 12 eggs in the bator.

The Sire is Rambo, the indian game

And we have Charlotte and Bluey with 5 eggs each. (They are new layers, bred here, Orpingtons)

And Wilma, a Plymouth Rock with the remaining 2 ( her first 2 after raising some chicks)

So really,looking forward to seeing how these ones grow and behave. Hoping for grain pigs that grow,grow,grow.

:D:D

Thanks everyone, Teila, MM, Pooman... I guess I should learn not to count my chicks before they hatch, I was just so upset that it was the java breed.

16 Paws, interesting theory that she knew what she was doing, I don't know how she could know if something wasn't right with it, but it does help to think of her as smart instead of stupidly carrying one out. argh! I can't believe how far she got with it... I'm so upset.. if I had been closer maybe I could have put it back in the nest instead of it getting pecked. no use dwelling on it now I guess, onward and upward.

Shelby, so sorry to hear about the tornado. I hope your family is okay
hugs.gif
and so sorry to hear about the baby chick who passed *hugs*

Question:
what do you all think about giving my 2nd broody (started sitting 10 days after 1st broody) 2 eggs from the 1st nest? It would be an early hatch, on day 14ish for her, not the full 21 days. Will she accept them?

I started worrying that if she sees broody #1 with her chicks for an entire week, she might try to steal the chicks over to her side. is that a concern? maybe it would be best if they both had chicks hatch the same day. that way the chicks could (hopefully) go back and forth between mamas seamlessly.

I really need the expert advice here because I have never had a broody before and I dont quite know how they think and act! :)

Good afternoon all! Well I have one for all to ponder and please give me your thoughts on this one! I was told today that you can sex your chickens by holding them upside down and a male will fight his way back onto his feet while a female will just lay there????? I don't have the heart to do that to my chicks ( thats is just mean!!! And a good way to have them fear you?? Just my opinion!) Has anyone tried this and does it really work????

Back
Top Bottom