Hatching WITHOUT an incubator

Well it's day 19 and I caught Chrissy out of her box getting something to eat. I counted all the original 11 eggs so I know she's not laying. They all look intact and nothing smells funny. The leghorn egg is still there so I'm not sure which one she threw out. I never did candle them for fear of scaring off momma. This is so exciting, there's a big bag of chick starter waiting for the new ones. Any advice for a soon-to-be grandpa?

O.K. thanks. They're actually in a barn which rarely goes below freezing. There's a heat lamp outside the crate door which keeps the water from freezing, the other girls have a heated bowl. I know there's a picture of her run in this machine but I just got tired of looking. The lady I got the eggs from said broody hen eggs will actually hatch faster than incubator eggs. We'll soon see.

Just found a pic...

Last edited:
Peeping! I hear little peeps from underneath Chrissy
celebrate.gif
Not gonna move her to check just yet. Thought you should know
wee.gif
Now what??

Last edited:
Congratulations!
thumbsup.gif
It sounds like she'd doing her job and they are hatching, or already have. She'll keep them inside for about 3 or 4 days, then she'll bring them out. Don't expect her to be happy to share though, she'll protect them and probably cover them. After she comes out you can pull the eggs that didn't hatch to dispose of them. Of course you don't want to do that until she's out of the nest or she'll bite your hand off.

Back
Top Bottom