hatching

i found them so im not certain on what day they are but im thinking day 21 or 24!
So they're wild ducks then? Do you know what species they might be?

Have you put the eggs in lockdown yet? If not, then I'd go ahead and do that. Make sure you raise the humidity. Now all that's left to do is wait.

You may notice some bruising on the outside of the shell when the baby is close to pipping. As long as it is close to the fat end of the egg it isn't anything to be concerned about. If a bruise appears on the pointed end you'll need to make a safety hole. Keep us updated on the progress!

So they're wild ducks then? Do you know what species they might be?

Have you put the eggs in lockdown yet? If not, then I'd go ahead and do that. Make sure you raise the humidity. Now all that's left to do is wait.

You may notice some bruising on the outside of the shell when the baby is close to pipping. As long as it is close to the fat end of the egg it isn't anything to be concerned about. If a bruise appears on the pointed end you'll need to make a safety hole. Keep us updated on the progress!
they are mallards i believe they were abandoned in a bush in my yard will keep you updated when they pip! i decided to put them in lockdown when i saw them moving.

they are mallards i believe they were abandoned in a bush in my yard will keep you updated when they pip! i decided to put them in lockdown when i saw them moving.
When you say abandoned was mom gone for a day ?
My broody duck left hers every morning for 40 mins at least and once way over an hour
She would leave again late afternoon for 20 mins
It’s not uncommon for ducks to leave for a length of time
Eat , drink ,swim, poo and forge

I hope if they hatch you have a brooder set up for them and will be willing to take care of them, if not handing them over to a waterfowl/wild life rehabber is the best thing to do they will have no mother to teach them how to survive in the wild and most likely won't make it.A rehabber knows how to teach them how to survive once they are set free.

Last edited:
When you say abandoned was mom gone for a day ?
My broody duck left hers every morning for 40 mins at least and once way over an hour
She would leave again late afternoon for 20 mins
It’s not uncommon for ducks to leave for a length of time
Eat , drink ,swim, poo and forge
i watched the nest for a couple days before taking in the eggs

Back
Top Bottom