Hate my Waterer!

I think I might try to find some nipples locally and find a food grade bucket (clear preferably so I can see how much water is left and food grade because, yes, I am one of those people that worries about plastic residues- after all, does Home Depot really care if your chickens get poisoned from their orange buckets?). Where do most people buy them? At the feed store? Or is it easier to just order online ? If I don’t like it I’ll just try something else. That stupid red and white piece of garbage already leaked out the entire contents that I put in just yesterday. So I definitely need to do something.

I love horizontal nipple waterers made from 5 gallon buckets and gamma lids. They are easy to put together, stay clean and hygienic and are very low maintenance.
A couple questions: if you have a water nipple, then do you not need to clean the water out daily? If not, how often do you need to do it? And then, where do you hang it? My chicken coop is too flimsy to hang something that heavy from the inside, so I haven't done it yet. Mine are using the standard red and white screw-on-base water container and they always poop in it or get it filthy dirty. Gross.

How do you go about training the chickens to drink from the nipples?

Take all other water sources away, when you put the new waterer to use. It took my chickens about 10 minutes to investigate and start using it, that was with horizontal nipples. I have read on here where people have issues with them getting used to vertical nipples.

A couple questions: if you have a water nipple, then do you not need to clean the water out daily? If not, how often do you need to do it? And then, where do you hang it? My chicken coop is too flimsy to hang something that heavy from the inside, so I haven't done it yet. Mine are using the standard red and white screw-on-base water container and they always poop in it or get it filthy dirty. Gross.

My water is inside my coop.
I clean my bucket out every couple months even though it's not dirty or slimy, even in the summer. If you keep your bucket in the shade, you will probably have the same results.

You don't have to hang a bucket with horizontal nipples, just set it up on a cinder block so the nipples are at the height of their back.

You will have clean water 24/7, use a bucket de-icer in cold climates and your chickens will have unfrozen water.

Can anybody tell I really like the horizontal nipples for many reasons, from all these posts. :lau

20170422_105015.jpg

I think I might try to find some nipples locally and find a food grade bucket (clear preferably so I can see how much water is left and food grade because, yes, I am one of those people that worries about plastic residues- after all, does Home Depot really care if your chickens get poisoned from their orange buckets?). Where do most people buy them? At the feed store? Or is it easier to just order online ? If I don’t like it I’ll just try something else. That stupid red and white piece of garbage already leaked out the entire contents that I put in just yesterday. So I definitely need to do something.
Ive been told you can ask at a grocery syore bakery for extra buckets. Any there would be food grade.

I got my black (to prevent algae) food grade (I'm one of those people too :)) bucket on Amazon. The gamma lid is so easy to spin on and off to check water level and I'm out there spending quality time with them anyway so I went with black.

I think I might try to find some nipples locally and find a food grade, bucket (clear preferably so I can see how much water is left and food grade because, yes, I am one of those people that worries about plastic residues
Lowes has clear, food grade, BPA free buckets, see my pic in post #34. Get a gamma lid while you are there. Horizontal nipples can only be bought online , that I know of. (Amazon)

Last edited:
I *might* clean mine out every other time I have to fill it up with a hose which works out to maybe cleaning it once every 2 months. And when I say "clean" I mean give it a quick blast from the hose. It's never needed it though, it's always been clean inside.

It doesn't need to be hung. You can put it on cinder blocks, stacked bricks, whatever you have on hand.

I got my black (to prevent algae) food grade (I'm one of those people too :)) bucket on Amazon. The gamma lid is so easy to spin on and off to check water level and I'm out there spending quality time with them anyway so I went with black.

That's a great idea to prevent algae growth.

Back
Top Bottom