Hating Waste As I Do.... (Pic, post #17, Top Complete)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, May 16, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

....I proceeded to use all the off-size pieces, along with some additional ones added, to piece this very colorful baby quilt. I think it will stimulate baby's brain, don't you? It's in strips and I need to arrange them in the most pleasing way possible, so they are probably not in their final positions in the photo. Should I do solid strips between them or just keep them butted up to each other, ya think? This is so random, isn't it?I didn't even care how the blocks met, just put them together, alternating colors.
    ( Ignore the rust and green quilt underneath it. I have very little room to spread out a quilt in progress other than my own bed).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    That's really pretty. I think I'd put some lighter strips (maybe some of the lightest yellow or the light turquoise) just to offset all the dark colors. Can't have baby having dark thoughts at that early age. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:I thinking the same regarding light colored strips of some sort in there (you know better than I on how they should be arranged). Very nice!! I really like how it is random. Makes it very interesting to look at! I think a lighter color will bring out the colors and random patter of the quilt.

I can't wait to see the final product!!

4. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Nice Quilt.... [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Arent you clever! I dont know what you should do there, whatever you do will be just beautiful.

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    High contrast is ideal for developing infants.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it doesn't have to be a baby quilt, necessarily. I just thought all the bright, deep colors would stimulate a baby's brain. Dang, my son who is 33 years old would have loved a quilt with lots of black as a baby. He went through a very extended black period, LOL. I have it all together, but I didn't do sashing--many of my quilts are the way they are simply due to my laziness [​IMG]. I will, however, border it with something lighter, I think.
    I didn't even plan to do this-I was going to start work on an Attic Windows quilt. I'm in the middle of hand quilting the staff swap quilt as well.

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    That is beautiful! I'd so love to learn to make a quilt! Wonderful!!

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    One of the berry shades in there would mix in well, without competing. And honestly most moms get sick of all the pink and blue checked fabrics. I did dragons and hot rod flames for my son, I was so sick of blue teddybears.

10. ebwy

ebwy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    UK
    all I can find for my baby in the shops is pastel blue or white... there's a whole spectrum of colours out there, and it's good to use them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by