have 10 hens getting 3 chicks in April

imneva

Songster
Apr 9, 2018
north central Wv
ok some questions. I got my big girls this passed july. they are healthy and strong. I am adding 3 girls that when grown will lay colored eggs. my questions are more about getting opinions on what I am planning to do with integration. I will be brooding the 1st few weeks inmy house. at about 8 weeks or so I plan on fencing off a part of the yard for them so they can see and be seen but not accessed by the big girls and in a kennel inside the coop at night
I plan on keeping them separate as long as possible because I use medicated feed for the babies. but I saw medicated flock feeder. anyone use that ? with layers? I know I would have calcium available

Really the sooner you get them out there the better. When they are little, they are not so threatening to the big girls. They need a safety zone, where they can retreat out of harms way, but it is much easier to do earlier than later.

As for the feed, as long as you separate them, then keep their own feed. I have even fed chick feed to adults and added oyster shell on the side.

Mrs K

I agree with the others, assuming you have space outside I'd brood outdoors. If you choose to do medicated feed I'd only offer it as long as the chicks have their own separate feeder (so like the first 2-3 weeks or so) then once they begin accessing the adult area I would put everyone on all flock/grower so you don't have to worry about what birds are eating what.

Here is my problem. I do not have electricity in my coop. Too far away form house for extension cords which is why I brood in the house :/

Here is my problem. I do not have electricity in my coop. Too far away form house for extension cords which is why I brood in the house :/

So going with the original plan (brood at house, see but don't touch once they're old enough to go out), depending on your temps/climate the chicks can probably go out much sooner than 8 weeks. At that time you can also discontinue the medicated feed and switch all of them to all flock or grower.

Back
Top Bottom