HAVE 2 BABYS!! Pg 3

Chicken Girl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Ok i have a broody on day 20 i think. I put the eggs under her on the 3rd of March. I candelled to see what was going on and they are all alive and i can see them pushing on the air cell but they have not piped it. Should i be scared? I cant what for the babys! PLZ Help me! Thanks all!!

Chicken Girl

Last edited:
Dont worry untill after day 21 .
Enjoy the hatch.
wee.gif

Ok its morning of day 21. No pips no peeps. I will wait till to night. but they are all alive and have not piped the air cell. Can i help them? Should I? Plz help!! I whant this to work so bad! And i cant let her be broody any longer she will die.

Chicken Girl i am a first timer!

Hang in there. Sometimes it takes a little longer than the 21 days. The cooler weather this time of year may effect that too, so don't despair, they'll probably be fine, but I do understand your anxiousness. I know how it is!
Good luck!
smile.png

I've heard that first time broodies can take longer. I heard 23 days? I really don't know, but I totally get your anxiety!

Its 5:30 and no pips or peeps! She WILL NOT get off the nest! She did not get off the nest to day at all! All she wanted was more hay for her nest. I put food by her and she will not eat it! Is she ok! They still have not pip the aircell. And just now when i went to look at her there was a leghorn in her nest! They pulled of the wier and pushed her out of the way! She was sitting there waiting for them to get off! So ushed them out and got the eggs they layed out and bult the pen beter. So if they get in there i am going to eat them! LOL JK JK They are still alive. What should i do! Should i try and order babys from the feed store? Or debroody her if they dont hatch? This is my first time. And i am scared! PLS HELP!

Chicken Girl

My broody did not hatch hers until day 23 maybe 24 - the reason for this is bcs she was sitting on eggs from other hens as well. Somehow she knew to stay put. I was afraid she was going to freeze to death and die or die from not having eaten or drank.

But I think that the second she knew she wasn't being watched she quickly ate and drank and ran back to her nest - I never saw it happen. By day 20 she looked half plucked and comatose --- then BABIES! Not many hatched of what she sat on - but her efforts were rewarded - and I bet your broody's will be too.

It was my first time watching it all happen too - in fact it was a big mistakes. We thought she was sick and dying so we isolated her - she wasn't sick she was wanting to be a mom!

This all happened 7 weeks ago. So I know your angst! But chickens aren't known for suicide, so she'll be fine I'd bet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom