Have 5 chickens, must relocate to Warner Robins, GA...HELP!!!

dkistner

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
I have been SO excited about getting my first chickens, but Robert just got a job in Warner Robins and we've got to move. My chickies are being brooded right now by a friend. I've got to either find a place to live that will allow me to have chickens, or I've got to give them up...which distresses me no end.

Is there anyone on this forum who lives near Warner Robins/Macon who knows enough about the area to advise me where to begin to look for housing that might allow chickens? Robert doesn't want to have to drive more than 20 miles to his job at Robins AFB, but he said he can't stand to see me so weepy about my chickens. My friends would love to be given my chickens, and I will do that if I have to...but I don't want to have to!

Please help!

Diane

Diane,

Surely you will find a home in the area so you can keep your chickens!! I live in Sharpsburg; about 45 minutes south of Atlanta. This is considered rural and houses are on at least one acre lots (we have 5 acres). While I know Sharpsburg is too far from the AFB, the point is that between here and there is a lot country. Chickens can be easy to hide in the backyard!!

Don't be discouraged!

GOOGLE Warner Robins and look on the map to see what's around. Can you get in the car and drive around to see the area? Good luck!
wink.png

I can't remember when I've been more happy to receive a post, Blondie! I've been researching everything within a 20-mile radius of Warner Robins AFB today, and we're talking about me going down with Robert for a few days and me driving around to check out the lay of the land while we're there. I guess I could also put in a classified ad in the Macon Telegraph asking about it.

I've got to arrange for my son to come dogsit; our two little old rotten chihuahuas are the first consideration. But I've got two barred rocks, two Speckled Sussex, and a Black Star waiting for me, and I'm just about to have a fit to get them!

Much will depend on what our landlord says. Do you own or rent? We're nearing retirement age and are trying to divest ourselves of albatrosses so we'll be free to move (even out of the country) if we want to when we retire. Am I crazy to want to get chickens at this point? If I am, I just am. CHICKENS! I want my CHICKENS!

Diane

I'm beginning to be more encouraged now. If I only have female chickens maybe I can get away with having them after all. I've been watching the Hen Cam off and on for hours, I've been so saddened about not being able to get my chickens!

Daine

Diane,
I'm in the same boat. My wife and I are in Warner Robins, working on Robins AFB and want chickens pretty bad. I don't even know where to start looking for the laws. I own a house and we're in a subdivision, but have a large yard, so I'm thinking about rolling the dice and just doing it anyways while looking up the laws. Renting would be more difficult (but not impossible) as you would need your landlords permission for sure.

If there are laws against it, maybe we could work together to get them changed. San Francisco and New York City allow chickens in the city and they're a wee bit larger (more densely populated) than rural middle Georgia. So many cities with laws against it are open to change anyways.

Mike

So I called the city today and they said the city code states that you cannot raise fowl in the city. I looked it up at (http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=11292&sid=10) - (Chapter 5, Article I, Sec 5-8) and sure enough that's what it says. The lady referred me to the city court clerk to find out if there was an option to apply for a special permit, but I just got a recording, so I'll have to try later.

If you want to have a go at it, the court clerk's number is 478-929-1132. Being a small town, I'm sure we could work on getting the law changed. A family member of mine is doing that right now for Knoxville, TN, so he could provide insight on where to start.

Mike

Other nearby areas, like Perry, do allow between 4-10 chickens in the "city", but only if you have at least 1 acre or more. Kind of defeats the point of raising urban chickens. Requiring over an acre per lot ensures they are kept outside the subdivisions and true city areas. Keep looking on Municode.com and you may find something in the city's codes.

I live off of Watson near the Base and I know people who own chickens. As far as I know, there's no law against it. There are 2 houses near me that are available. I am wanting to get a goat soooo bad!! lol ...but, not sure if I'm allowed to.

[email protected]

I have been SO excited about getting my first chickens, but Robert just got a job in Warner Robins and we've got to move. My chickies are being brooded right now by a friend. I've got to either find a place to live that will allow me to have chickens, or I've got to give them up...which distresses me no end.

Is there anyone on this forum who lives near Warner Robins/Macon who knows enough about the area to advise me where to begin to look for housing that might allow chickens? Robert doesn't want to have to drive more than 20 miles to his job at Robins AFB, but he said he can't stand to see me so weepy about my chickens. My friends would love to be given my chickens, and I will do that if I have to...but I don't want to have to!

Please help!

Diane
I can give your chickens a great home. I currently live in Byron/Warner Robins. I have 45 chickens and room for more. They all free range. Let me know. I'm Bob. 309-721-7049

Back
Top Bottom