Have a 6-month old hen who lost all her mates and is alone -- what to do?? need advice!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lynnpm, Jan 8, 2013.

1. lynnpm

lynnpm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    We raised four female baby chicks and sadly lost three of them over time (dogs and a hawk) and are down to just our one leghorn. She is all alone in a small coop and run built for 4 max. I let her out at least once a day to run around the backyard and give her treats (corn and cheese are her two favorites), but I am worried she is going to get too bored and lonely soon. I planned to get new chicks in the springtime and to introduce them to her gradually as they got old enough to go outside. But until then, I am not sure what to do.

I have a neighbor with 8 hens and a large coop who would take her but I can't figure out a way to safely integrate her to that flock. (I could bring her over in a dog crate but think she would go crazy in there and get too cold at night. It's freezing here in CT, so I have a heating pad on low in her coop at night to emulate the heat of another chicken. One thought I had was asking around to see if I could "borrow" a hen from someone to live with mine until spring. Maybe one that's low in the pecking order of another flock and gets picked on a lot? I don't know about integrating just two hens with each other though. Would they likely fight?

Thanks so much for ANY advice on these issues!

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Try to gradually introduce a couple more chickens to her. I would suggest keeping her and not giving her to a neighbor, as when you introduce the new chicken(s) she would have lived there the longest and would probably be the top hen from there on out (that worked for me). I had a hen that survived an attack while everyone else died. She was the bottom of the pecking order, but when we did that, she assumed top hen.

3. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I would see if you can purchase another hen around the same age as yours from someone local. She definitely needs a friend and will be very lonely without one- chickens are flock animals. It would be best to introduce her to a single hen and I'm sure within a few days they will BFF's.

If she was to go over to your neighbors it would be hard to introduce just the 1 hen, she will get picked on for sure. It's always best to introduce a couple new chickens at one time to an established group.

Try placing an ad on CL for a hen and see what happens.

Good Luck!
    Trish

4. lynnpm

lynnpm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Thank you so much. I have not had great luck on craigslist so far. I just tried to post in the buy/sell/trade area here on this site and it won't let me. It's turning out not to be so easy to find a pullet for sale in my area (CT) in January.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by