Have a look, if you don’t mind.

Thank you for all these wonderful options.

since we have already paid my friend for this coop, this is what we have to work with. I’m in a position where I don’t particularly want to ask her for my money back and have her come back and get it. So I’m a bit stuck here. I’m willing to readjust it to make it comfortable for the girls I have and forego the 4th hen. I was outside looking around it from all angles this morning trying decide how to convert the run to coop space based off a prior post with a modification on a similar coop.

In the future, perhaps I can keep this coop as a secondary setup for chicks and build something else down the road that is a little better suited.

I may sit down today and draw out some modifications to post.

Absolutely not, the coop is 32"x 36". You cannot look only at the run space in determining how many chickens fit, especially during integration. Do some flocks tolerate tighter conditions? Yes. But it can also be a primary cause of behavioral problems.

OP: The coop as is is big enough for 2 standard size birds. Did you add any ventilation at all? From what I can remember, this coop doesn't come with a lot of ventilation as-is.

One thing you might want to consider is modifying the coop/mini run into a larger coop. To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

As far as predator proofing, looks like you have chicken wire right now? Hardware cloth or welded wire, no larger than 1/2", would be a better choice for protection. Adding an apron would help with any predators/pests digging in. Good example here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481100
I dont know much, but I’ve heard that TSC sells chicken coffins! My guess is the ventilation issue. I guess you can never have enough ventilation and TSC coops come up short. I imagine you could modify a coop. Keep cluckin’ away and Good luck my friend. I hope everything goes well for you 🐓❤️

It's nice that you're handy - I'm sure you'll be able to make it work!
I hope I can. I’m walking a line between not wanting to lose money and also wanting my hens to be happy, safe, and comfortable living with us. I hate the learning curve. I’ve kept fish for about 10 years and know how often new folk join the hobby ill equipped and good intentioned, so I was trying to be cognizant of their needs and avoid that.

I feel like just stuck a betta fish in a vase. 😂

I hope I can. I’m walking a line between not wanting to lose money and also wanting my hens to be happy, safe, and comfortable living with us. I hate the learning curve. I’ve kept fish for about 10 years and know how often new folk join the hobby ill equipped and good intentioned, so I was trying to be cognizant of their needs and avoid that.

I don't remember if you said where you are (you can add your general location to your profile), but climate matters a lot.

In my climate it would be possible to just take the walls off and leave the roof as a shelter -- there's someone a mile or so around the corner who has that as their base coop, with a tarped dog kennel added on the back and an open dog kennel off the side from expansions. Sorry, no photos, I don't know them, just drive by frequently.

We live in east TN. It warms up starting in March (late) and is humid and sweltering from late May - September usually. Sometimes into October. November-Feb ranges from occasional lows of 17 at night (extreme cold for us) and highs as much as the 50s. Typical winter weather is rainy and in the 40s. Lows tend to between freezing and not.

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas is true for us here. It snows maybe once or twice in a year and rarely more than an inch.

…I feel like I should be gesturing to a green screen showing our area and give an overview of the fronts coming in to accompany this post 😂

I have a similar prefab, about 5 sq ft in the coop. I have 4 girls: 2 EE, 1 SS, and 1 BO. They, too, only sleep in the coop. Their food, water, oyster shell, and grit are in dishes in the covered "run." They spend the day wandering in my fenced yard (about 50'x20'). The whole thing sits on a paver patio of about 6'x8'.

I expect to build out this fall, as my biggest problem has been snow. If there is snow, they will not leave the shoveled patio, and I can't shovel the whole yard!

I would cover at least part of the run for sure. Bad weather may make them seek shelter, and trying to squish into a tiny coop is a recipe for disaster. For ventilation, I added vents on either side of the coop, just under the roof peaks. I also did not try to screw the roof down completely flush, so some air can escape. In summer, I leave the pop door and window open, because I have covered the run floor with hardware cloth and reinforced the stapled hardware cloth with screws and washers. I also added better latches, and actual locks.

I keep a remote thermometer in there, velcroed above the nest boxes, to keep an eye on the temp and humidity, along with a separate sensor under the eave of my house as a control. Surprisingly, I have not seen much of a rise in either temp or humidity in that coop.

Despite my current modifications, I would prefer to give the girls a bit more room, but it does work in a pinch, especially in warmer weather.

I’m willing to readjust it to make it comfortable for the girls I have and forego the 4th hen. I was outside looking around it from all angles this morning trying decide how to convert the run to coop space based off a prior post with a modification on a similar coop.

In the future, perhaps I can keep this coop as a secondary setup for chicks and build something else down the road that is a little better suited.

I may sit down today and draw out some modifications to post.
Good call. You'll figure it out.

We live in east TN.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1627674371155.png

I said the same thing! I hate the learning curve! Its because we have other lives we are responsible for and we wanna do our best. I’ll tell ya what, 3 months ago, i knew absolutely nothing, BYC will tell ya, I posted questions every single day multiple times. I was always answered and guided in the right direction. BYC is my chicken bible. Trust you have what it takes, and always just come here and ask questions! There are some serious chicken pros. You’ll see! Your gonna do great! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom