Have any of your chickens ever went broody in the weirdest places?????

lcw

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
southern ohio
I had a hen that I couldn't find for days. There is the old building that used to be a farm house that is about 30 feet from the coop. We use it as a tool shed now but if you go around the back there is a space were the door used to be for the basement. Well I went down there looking for this hen and I found her. She was sitting on 7 eggs way in the back . The eggs never hatched. The weird thing is that if you want to go into the tool shed from the front she was right under the door where you walk in and out and never made a sound. Thought this was kind of funny. Not the best story in the world but of well.

Please share you stories if you have any. Thanks. Cole.

And if you could post a pic of this hen and maybe the chicks if she hatched any.

Last edited:
Well, we don't have free-range hens, so ours go broody in the coop. However, one of our hens did go broody in a specific nesting box and WOULD NOT MOVE!!! I even put her and her eggs in the kennel where she was SUPPOSED to hatch them out, but this neurotic girl wanted her nest! We got to move her as soon as her chicks were hatched, but she had us waiting out in the coop for the moment her eggs all hatched so we could move her out of the way of the bigger hens.

This is when she was on her nest:
30030_hannahs_pictures_017.jpg

And this is after we moved her:
30030_hannahs_pictures_061.jpg

Glad you found your missing broody hen, icw!

Chicken's Maid, I love the photo of the determined little girl who would not leave the nest she had chosen as the perfect place for hatching!! She may be small, but she looks like she means business!!!

Well, not exactly a broody but my EE is trying to be one. I posted a thread yesterday with pix of her rolling a golf ball beneath her to set on, and today she refused to free-range - had dug a little nest in the dirt in her pen and was setting on an ACORN! I had to move her off of it and out of the pen.

I don't free range mine either, so they usually went broody in the nestboxes, but I had a few who went broody in the corners of the pen or odd corners. One little idiot went broody right in front of the coop door where all the other chickens trampled her daily.
roll.png

i had one that went broody just to the side of the door. didn't get trampled but on the floor? come on. there's about 10 nest boxes but she picked the floor.

Back
Top Bottom