Have no idea what to do

curiouschicky

Hatching
Mar 29, 2020
Hi everyone,
I stumbled across this website and hopefully I can get some help on what to do. We recently found a chicken in our backyard a few days ago - we’ve been feeding it and giving it water, checking up on it every few times or so. We do live right next to a farm however it’s a vegetable growing farm and there’s no signs of chickens anywhere.

I skimmed over another post saying we should find out what breed and what the age of the chicken is so I’ve attached a photo - hopefully you guys can help me out, you all seem like experts! 😄

Please help us out, we have no idea what to do and I think the chicken is coming out of its shell and actually coming closer to us when we feed it. What do we do!!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 41D3F574-2C1E-4EB6-B7E0-DFD3EDFB7CE4.jpeg
    41D3F574-2C1E-4EB6-B7E0-DFD3EDFB7CE4.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a hybrid/mixed breed of some kind I don't recognize. Where I live, our humane society will actually take chickens if you don't want to keep it, you could possibly put a Found ad on your local Craigslist website under the Farm and Garden and maybe also under Pets in case someone is missing this bird and wants it back. If you don't find the owner and want to keep it, it would fare best with protection from weather and predators, if it's sleeping in an outbuilding at your place you could try to arrange a specific spot where you can limit where the mess it makes will be located - a roost made of a 2x4 maybe, with some pine shavings underneath? They like to sleep up high. If it is going into a building at dusk, closing the door to keep out night predators will protect it from raccoons, owls, skunks, weasels, etc.

Back
Top Bottom