Have the chickens, now I need a coop. Please help!!!

So what you are saying is I'd build a ditch a few feet back from the coop and run around the entire area of the coop/run and use the dirt to raise the level of the coop/run area, and then fill the ditches with rocks? I could run the ditch down to my berm area, but it doesn't really go anywhere after that, the water pretty much sits in the berm ditch until it absorbs through the ground in a few days (after a large storm). Trying to picture this in my head and having some trouble.
The photo helps a lot, not as bad as I imagined. If that ditch dirt is not all clay then sure but mix in some sand. Also yes, let the chickens have the grass and such before you cover it. Then you won't have organics rotting under your soil/sand base adding and holding moisture.
I imagine your ditch as a DIY version of what we call in construction "drain tiles" or "French drains" but I don't think you need any plastic tubes unless you don't want to capture the roof water, then gutter it out to your ditch with it.
Otherwise go to a landscape supply yard (not a big box store) and show them the photo. They'll sell you the right kind of rocks for drainage and probably have a sandy soil mix also.
There are entire books on soil. For example first heave it's an issue in sand because the sand doesn't expand when it gets wet. The landscape places have read these books and sell their wares cheaper.

Build for the most miserable weather in July and August. Heat kills more chickens then cold.

YES!

Though I must say that metal is not necessarily hot if proper airflow is provided for. Metal animal housing is very common here in the Steamy Southeast because it's resistant to both rot and termites.

Airflow is key:
Airflow Crayon.png

Not a fan of metal sheds. They look trashy very quickly, are easily tossed around in a wind storm, are hot, hot, hot and will become even more structurally unsound the more holes you cut to improve ventilation.
Take that $500 and build an 8x8 hoop coop. Line it with hardware cloth and roof it with metal. You will need minimal tools and skills. You can easily get it built in 2 weekends max. Easy to expand or just use as the run down the road.
Chickens in the south should not be housed in a 4 sided structure. Build for the most miserable weather in July and August. Heat kills more chickens then cold.
Thank you for researching those cute prefab coops and saving your $$.
Can you post a link to an example of a hoop coop? I'm looking at the metal frame only options, but I'd have to cover all of them with hardware cloth, which is discouraging.

The photo helps a lot, not as bad as I imagined. If that ditch dirt is not all clay then sure but mix in some sand. Also yes, let the chickens have the grass and such before you cover it. Then you won't have organics rotting under your soil/sand base adding and holding moisture.
I imagine your ditch as a DIY version of what we call in construction "drain tiles" or "French drains" but I don't think you need any plastic tubes unless you don't want to capture the roof water, then gutter it out to your ditch with it.
Otherwise go to a landscape supply yard (not a big box store) and show them the photo. They'll sell you the right kind of rocks for drainage and probably have a sandy soil mix also.
There are entire books on soil. For example first heave it's an issue in sand because the sand doesn't expand when it gets wet. The landscape places have read these books and sell their wares cheaper.
Drain tiles or french drains sounds doable. And the soil really is all clay. I could make pots with it, almost. Should I put the sandy soil mix you mention on top of the rocks, or just leave the rocks exposed? Should the rocks line the ditch or fill it? We don't have frozen soil here. Maybe the first inch or so? We have about 2-4 wks per year where the temps fluctuate between 20F and 30F (mainly 30F).

Can you post a link to an example of a hoop coop? I'm looking at the metal frame only options, but I'd have to cover all of them with hardware cloth, which is discouraging.
Here's a pig version but you get the idea. You can do tin for the coop and I guess you might have to hardware cloth the run. I think you said you wanted a covered run so you could do a tin roof and hardware cloth from the edge down?
I used plastic lattice on my last coop I think I had just regular chicken wire under that except some hardware cloth along the bottom.

Drain tiles or french drains sounds doable. And the soil really is all clay. I could make pots with it, almost. Should I put the sandy soil mix you mention on top of the rocks, or just leave the rocks exposed? Should the rocks line the ditch or fill it? We don't have frozen soil here. Maybe the first inch or so? We have about 2-4 wks per year where the temps fluctuate between 20F and 30F (mainly 30F).
Rocks for the water ditch/drain, cover it with 2" of soil so you don't have to look at it all the time, I'd probably just put the clay stuff back that was on top so it grows like the other stuff. You can edge off the top and roll it out of the way, then roll it back when you are done. After a week or so if it doesn't die you'd hardly know you made the subterranean ditch.

Sandy soil for the coop base/infill. Then add your manure management mix (wood chips, straw, etc.) On top. If you do an all sand base it will suck for compost as you gradually end up grabbing some but the mix will work well as compost and water management. Plus sand is expensive right now...

You do but the hardware cloth is pretty simple and fast. Cover the top with metal for rain protection, shade and secure the top of the hardware cloth. The hard part is framing the ends and making the door. You can cheat and buy an extra cattle panel and cut it down for the back end.

Back
Top Bottom