have you heard of these????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by schroader, Dec 13, 2008.

1. schroader

schroader Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2008
    Beaver Dam Ky
    Have any of you guys ever heard of a black dominecers(spelling???) I have never heard of them...I can buy them ( 1 1/2 years old) for $4.00 a peice.

2. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I think I have heard of them. If so, that is a really good deal. How many are you going to get?

3. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I have dominiques they are stripped black and white....just like a barred rock except the dominiques have rose combs....and barred rocks tend to be larger....never heard them called black dominiques though

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Far as I know, there is no such thing. A Dominique is barred and that is the only variety. I think someone is making it up and naming their crossbred chicken or just dont know what they have.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Dominiques are called Dominikers by the Amish and the name has been accepted in many places. Leghorns are also called Leggerns. I have only heard of the barred Dominiques but I just checked Feathersite and they do show a white Dominique. Dominiques have a rose comb and that is helpful in cold climates. If the birds you are looking at have single combs then you are buying a cross breed. They still may be excellent layers if that is your purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by