Have You Ordered Any Of These Breeds From Ideal Poultry

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by BookWorm243, Dec 27, 2010.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I am looking at ordering some chicks from Ideal in the spring. If you have ordered any of the ones I am looking at I would love to see pictures of them, also if any of them have gone broody.

#1. Crele Old English Bantam
    #2. Blue Golden Duckwing
    #3. Silver Sebright
    #4. Spangled Russian Orloff
    #5. Sussex
    #6. Silver Spangled Hamburg
    #7. Cream Brabanter
    #8. Silver Spangled Spitzhauben

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't have any pics, but a feed store I frequent always orders from Ideal.

I've seen speckled sussex and hamburgs and they are always pretty chicks.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have two Speckled Sussex hens that came from Ideal a few years ago. They are my friendliest birds, and very pretty, look a bit like Feathersite pix at least in coloring. But I'm sure they're nothing like show quality. Henderon's says they should lay about 4 cream eggs a week, and that's probably about right, but not in winter.

4. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    I have Russian Orloffs from Ideal. Great birds, and very friendly. Some of my favorites from my Ideal order, by far.

I also got 3 SSH packing peanuts from them, 1 of which ended up being a hen. We kept 1 of the roosters and also the hen, but the rooster ended up being a maniac and flogged my husband one too many times. The last time he got flogged in the face! So...RIP to Captain Herb the crazy people killer rooster. I will never have another one of those Hamburgs again! We still have the hen, but she's just as crazy. They are very flighty, and do not do well in confinement.

5. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I have 10 orloffs that I aquired from Ideal in april and they all were healthy.But one later developed a genetic deformity.it was named Gossamer.crossed beak ,missing feathers on the shoulders,and one leg longer than the other.Instead of culling it,I let him live out his remaining months (until september) in pampered bliss when he died.Had the personality of a ugly lap dog.

6. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks every one!

I would love to see pictures of your orloff and ssh [​IMG]

7. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Quote:I have heard they can be flighty, but I love how they look and I let mine free range. Are most SSH roosters that way?

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've had the Spitzhaubens and they were pretty nice birds! However would need to do serious culling because some of them have that Polish hairdos. If you do a search on Spitzhaubens, you will find a few pictures of them from Ideal.

I am thinking about having more chicks from them.

9. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Quote:See that is what I was wondering, I understand that hatchery birds are no where like breeders birds. I have some Polish from Meyers and even tho they are no good for showing they still look better then the polish I have seen from Ideal. They are still younger but my hens have no combs and my rooster has a very very small one that you cant even see and they all developed nice lacing. That is why I was wanting to see the breeds I was interested in before getting them [​IMG]

10. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I had some Speckled Sussex from Ideal a few years ago and they were very pretty birds and very friendly. They were one of my favorites. Here's a picture of them.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by