Have you used a Rent a Coop Heating Plate for Brooder?

ValerieJ

On the other side
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
I just received this heating plate in the mail and plugged it in. The instructions say to set it low enough that the chick can touch it. After letting it run for a while I tested it by touching it myself and it was pretty darn hot. I'm unable to leave my finger in contact with it for more than a few seconds.

Has anyone else used one of these before? I wonder how the chicks don't burn themselves on it.

I have one and after tomorrow-ish, I will be using it for the first time. Mine gets hot but I can leave me fingers there for a bit. If you think it will burn them, take it up a notch but watch the chicks. If they are all huddled underneath in a ball, they are too cold and it will need to be lowered. If they are all milling about the brooding box, some under the plate and others roaming around. They are comfortable. Hope this helps

I have one and after tomorrow-ish, I will be using it for the first time. Mine gets hot but I can leave me fingers there for a bit. If you think it will burn them, take it up a notch but watch the chicks. If they are all huddled underneath in a ball, they are too cold and it will need to be lowered. If they are all milling about the brooding box, some under the plate and others roaming around. They are comfortable. Hope this helps
Thanks. I don't have the chicks yet, so I'll do that when they are here. That is if I keep it. I may just go back to using a heat lamp.

Thanks. I don't have the chicks yet, so I'll do that when they are here. That is if I keep it. I may just go back to using a heat lamp.

Have you looked at reviews for it or tried calling the company? That might help you decide what will be best for you.

I just received this heating plate in the mail and plugged it in. The instructions say to set it low enough that the chick can touch it. After letting it run for a while I tested it by touching it myself and it was pretty darn hot. I'm unable to leave my finger in contact with it for more than a few seconds.

Has anyone else used one of these before? I wonder how the chicks don't burn themselves on it.
I don't have your brand but I do used a heating plate. Mine felt too hot as well but I used it anyway. You can control how much heat the chicks get by raising the height. The chicks will figure it out by themselves by moving closer or farther. If they're cold, they'll stand taller and touch their backs to the plate. If they're too warm, they'll move a little farther away, Good luck!

Yes I have used them for several years. I have always started a about 1 to 2 inches and then raise an inch a week. This year I started with back low and front a inch taller. I love them!

Back
Top Bottom