having chiggers and remaining sane...

3goodeggs

pays attention sporadically
10 Years
May 22, 2009
North Central Florida
..is is possible? I have about two hundred, just on knees and below.
th.gif
...stupid hiking...stupid hiker (me) forgot the sulfur...I think I have used a tube of cortaid already. Other than skin grafts what do I do?
hit.gif

Help? What do you all do?

It's probably best to get a prednisone dose-pak from your doctor if they aren't much better. I'd still paint them with clear nail polish...or whatever color you have on hand
big_smile.png
The stinging from the nail polish painted onto raw and bleeding skin is actually a relief from the itching.

Whatever the s#*t they produce that causes the unbearable itching probably needs a beat down by some steroids. Here's a pic of those bad boys!

9079_chig1.jpg

Here some information with which I take some issue:
big_smile.png
Bold words are MINE!!

Bad Bugs Slideshow
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Medical Editor: William C. Shiel, Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

What are chiggers?

Chiggers are the juvenile form (larvae) of a certain type of mite of the family Trombiculidae. Mites are arachnids (like spiders and ticks).

Chiggers are found throughout the world. They most commonly live in forests, grassy fields, gardens, parks, and in moist areas around lakes or rivers. Most of the larvae that cause chigger bites are found on plants that are relatively close to the ground surface, because they require a high level of humidity for survival.

What do chiggers look like?

Chiggers are barely visible to the naked eye (their length is less than 1/150th of an inch). They are red in color and may be best appreciated (I would NOT use this term) when clustered in groups on the skin. The juvenile forms have six legs, although the (harmless) adult mites have eight legs.

Picture of Chigger Eggs, Larvae, Nymph, and Adult

How do chiggers bite humans?

Chigger mites infest human skin via areas of contact with vegetation, such as pant cuffs or shirt sleeves and collars. They migrate on the skin in search of an optimal feeding area. A common myth about chiggers is that they burrow into and remain inside the skin. This is not true. (Again, this cannot possibly be true!) Chiggers insert their feeding structures into the skin and inject enzymes that cause destruction of host tissue (and the host's mental health) . Hardening of the surrounding skin results in the formation of a feeding tube called a stylostome. Chigger larvae then feed upon the destroyed tissue. If they are not disturbed (which is rarely the case because of they cause substantial (mild word being used here) itching) they may feed through the stylostome for a few days. (NOT DISTURBED???? It would have to be a corpse!)

The chigger's mouth and feeding structures are delicate and are best able to penetrate the skin at areas of wrinkles, folds, or other areas of skin that are thin. Most bites occur around the ankles, the crotch and groin areas, behind the knees, and in the armpits. Barriers to migration on the skin such as belts may be one reason that chigger bites also commonly occur at the waist or at other areas where their migration is prevented by compression from clothing. (Right...I can hear them saying ,"OK if I can't get off of you, I'll just bite you")

A chigger bite itself is not noticeable. (WTH???) After the chigger has begun to inject digestive enzymes into the skin (usually after about 1-3 hours), symptoms typically begin.

Pronounced itching is the most common symptom. (Again...such a simple word to describe HELL)

The area of the bite may be reddened, flat, or raised; sometimes it resembles a pustule or blister. (Usually a bleeding one from all the scratching)

The itch is due to the presence of the stylostome and usually is most intense within 1-2 days after the bite. (I beg to differ...it is just as intense on day 19 as on day 1)

The itching persists for several days (HAHA!! Depends on what "several" means to you!!), and complete resolution of the skin lesions can take up to two weeks. (Not on your life!)

What is the treatment for chigger bites?

Many home remedies for chigger bites are based upon the incorrect belief that chiggers burrow into and remain in the skin. (I still think this is errant information!) Nail polish, alcohol, and bleach have been applied to the bites to attempt to "suffocate" or kill the chiggers. But because the chiggers are not present in the skin, these methods are not effective. (Truly, this is correct...nothing cures them...it just makes you have a different kind of pain until they subside)

Treatment for chigger bites is directed toward relieving the itching and inflammation. (Fo Sho) Calamine lotion and corticosteroid creams may be used to control itching. Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), may also be used for symptom relief. (Or "none of the above" works in anyway, for more than about 2 minutes)

What are complications of chigger bites?

Chigger bites themselves do not produce any long-term complications. (Other than PTSD) However, because of the intense itching, prolonged scratching may lead to skin wounds that may become infected by bacteria. (...or need suturing from the various instruments used to scratch the buggers)

a super hot (almost scalding) bath (don't sit in it , just ur knees) with lots of epsum salt mixed in. That should help with the itching as well as maybe kill the little buggers.
Barring that a real thick layer of vaseline to smother them.

My old farmer neighbor swears by Windex. I tried it and it seemed to help. I think it is the ammonia that actually does the trick.

I strongly considered amputation myownself.
barnie.gif

I think I am going to go scald them off of me now. I counted 45 welts just on one knee. I guess I knelt in a patch of hatching mites.
Then, maybe a couple classes of wine. Taken internally.
sad.png

I have ammonia. I'll gas them, then scald them..then smother them, and THEN intoxicate them. Yea, that's my plan.

Last edited:
I have heard wash the area in a solution of bleach and water, but you use that when you first get them. After they have dug in and got you itching like fire, you could try Chigger X, or Absorbine Jr (it has menthol and is very cooling, I also use this on poison Ivy). I have heard Chigger X is good on poison ivy too. Wear long socks and/or pants to not make the area not so accessible to scratching. I am soooo sorry, because I know just how you feel. Chiggers LOVE me! They find me out of a crowd of thousands and attack only me! I hate them!! Death to chiggers! They are evil! (Ok, slap self to regain sanity.)

Back
Top Bottom