Hawk attack

EngeFamilyFarms

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
Michigan
well, today we lost our first bird due to predation. We have the top of our pen covered in chicken wire but somehow a small hawk got in and took out one of our Easter eggers that ironically looked like a hawk. I promptly locked the rest of the birds up, opened the pen door and chased the hawk out. No idea how it got in but we lost my wife’s favorite bird. Anyone have an experience like that?

So sorry for your loss. My dear little rooster was carried off by a hawk when he was a chick, but thankfully he lived with only partial blindness and physical disabilities. Can you post a picture of the coop/run so we can see how the hawk got in?

well, today we lost our first bird due to predation. We have the top of our pen covered in chicken wire but somehow a small hawk got in and took out one of our Easter eggers that ironically looked like a hawk. I promptly locked the rest of the birds up, opened the pen door and chased the hawk out. No idea how it got in but we lost my wife’s favorite bird. Anyone have an experience like that?
Are you using 2 x 4 welded wire or have any other gaps at least 2 x 3 inches? If yes and hawk consumed some chicken, then odds are it will try to get back in tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom