Hawk attack

Ashbash4710

Chirping
Feb 17, 2022
Hawks have killed 3 of my chickens, but I caught one on top of a young chicken yesterday and I thought my chicken was already dead. I scared the hawk off. Then the chicken was frantically scooting around on the ground. Scared the life out of me. I got it into a box and brought it inside. There are no external injuries but she falls over when she tries to run or walk. She can stand, flap her wings, eat and drink. But her neck and back look off, her posture looks wrong and kind of hunchbacked. Her legs don't look broken.

Could it have broke her neck? Back? I'm just shocked she's even still alive.

Do you have any pictures? She may have a spinal injury. They can cause internal injuries as well. I would offer fluids and some moistened feed and scrambled egg up to her beak. Look carefully under her feathers and wings for any puncture wounds or lacerations. Make sure that your other chickens are kept inside a covered run, since the hawk will be back. They are very active this time of year here. Usually they go for smaller or younger birds, but can also injure a grown chicken. I hope that she makes it. For now, keep her in a basket or dog crate with food and water in a dim quiet space where it is warm to observe her.

Do you have any pictures? She may have a spinal injury. They can cause internal injuries as well. I would offer fluids and some moistened feed and scrambled egg up to her beak. Look carefully under her feathers and wings for any puncture wounds or lacerations. Make sure that your other chickens are kept inside a covered run, since the hawk will be back. They are very active this time of year here. Usually they go for smaller or younger birds, but can also injure a grown chicken. I hope that she makes it. For now, keep her in a basket or dog crate with food and water in a dim quiet space where it is warm to observe her.
20220429_142259.jpg
20220429_142252.jpg

She looks kind of puffed up like a hurt chicken. Is her left side of the back higher on that side? It is a good sign that she can stand. I would try to get her eating and drinking, and if she seems really tired let her rest. I have had chickens attacked who liked fine and then died in 10 minutes. I had a couple hurt by dogs that looked rough, missing feathers, and scraped, and they lived normal lives. Let us know how she does. She is a pretty little pullet.

What kind of hawk?
I ask because some hawks hammer their prey into the ground. Even if the hawk isn't very big their speed of attack on strike plus their weight produces quite a big impact force.
I don't know how carefully you've checked her over but do it again, especially under her wings. You're looking for talon puncture wounds and the hole may be very small.
A break iin the spine is possible.
If haven't already get a good diagram of a chickens skeleton. You will see that the vertebrea start high on it's back. You may be able to feel a break by running your finger up the back of her neck against the lay of the feathers.
If she is eating solids without falling over dead it would suggest that there isn't any compression of organs. The chickens I've had take a Goshawk strike directly to their backs don't want to eat or drink because I assume the pain.
Unless you can take her to a vet there isn't really much you can do for her.
If you can get some Metacam for pain killing this is the best option.
If you can't then half a junior asprin twice a day for 3 or 4 days may help.
I have recently learn't that Ibuprofene can be given but I can't tell you at what dosage.
I hope she pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom