1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk attack

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CMV, Apr 15, 2009.

1. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Hi All-
    I'm a new member today, but I've been reading info on this site for 1.5 years. I've never really needed any specific info until today. I had a 1 y.o. Wyandott hen get attacked by a Cooper's hawk yesterday. I thought it was a fatal attack as all I found was feathers and a large hunk of skin left. This morning I found the hen outside her house with a devastating wound on her lower back. I brought her inside, caged her, cleaned the wound with saline and covered the 4x4 inch wound with Neosporin. She does not appear particularly distressed. She's standing and was walking around when I found her. She has not consumed any food or water that I know of since I found her, nor has she voided. The wound has surprisingly little blood involved, but the skin is completely gone. The hawk's talon's appear to have just ripped away a large patch of skin, but hopefully did not actually puncture any organs and although the fatty layer under the skin is visible there does not seem to be any muscular damage. My question is this- can she survive this injury? Is the wound likely to close up considering its size? If anyone can offer some advice I'd appreciate it.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you can get fluids, then some wet foods in her, she very well might. The other thing she probably needs are some antibiotics by mouth or by injection, which hopefully you can get from your feed store. The wound can heal by gradually becoming covered over with scar tissue. Chickens don't void; urates are excreted in poo; that is the whitish patches on the poo.

I'd dropper some water or, better yet, electrolytes into her (from the feed store, or watered down Gatorade, or Pedialyte,) then I'd read up on here about what people offer to get them to eat and drink -- hardboiled egg, yogurt by itself or mixed with her feed come to mind offhand. But I've never been through this, just read about it.

You did fine with the immediate care. Next is fluids. And good luck.

3. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from NC

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are doing everything right, but you've got to get her to eat.

5. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Welcome from MD.
    Sorry to hear about the attack. [​IMG]

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm sure you know this but make sure there is no pain relief stuff in the Neosporin. Only use the regular kind.

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by