Hawk got my favorite hen!

Odd Ball is doing a bit better this morning, both eyes were open, she is still flopping over and flapping her wings, however she is trying, and her head is forward now rather then pulled back over her back, and she is looking around. She also is starting to get talkative, which means she is starting to take the steps of getting better. I am keeping my fingers crossed and I hope for a fairly good recovery, she may never be normal again, but she will still be able to be my daughters pet. She has always been the one BO that didn't want people to touch her, so now, she is finding out that people can make her better, and who knows maybe this will prove to be a good thing and make her a lap chicken.

I know my chickens wont like it but they all are going to be cooped until when we either kill the hawk, or it leaves.

A quick update on our pullet, she is eating a little today and is moving her head around. Both eyes were open today, She still is not standing on her own, but she does have pressure on her feet when I hold her up. So we are hoping that she makes it through this.

Not sure about your laws in Texas but chicken hawks are not covered under any federal law here. I already called wildlife about it, they said only eagles and vultures are protected here.

A quick update on our pullet, she is eating a little today and is moving her head around. Both eyes were open today, She still is not standing on her own, but she does have pressure on her feet when I hold her up. So we are hoping that she makes it through this.

Not sure about your laws in Texas but chicken hawks are not covered under any federal law here. I already called wildlife about it, they said only eagles and vultures are protected here.

Yes, they are covered under federal law, which trumps your Texas laws. A bit of law 101 there, might've been a good idea to have paid attention in social studies class in school. Federal > State > Local....

The federal laws which protect ALL birds of prey in the United States of America is called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. An amendment in 1972 gave raptors protected status. The list includes over 800 species.

The term "Chicken Hawk" can refer to three different species of raptor. The Sharp-Shinned Hawk, the Cooper's Hawk, and the Red Tailed Hawk. Guess what, they're all protected by that Migratory Bird Treaty Act! Don't believe me? Look it up yourself. Knowledge is power.

Last edited:

Quote:
Yes, they are covered under federal law, which trumps your Texas laws. A bit of law 101 there, might've been a good idea to have paid attention in social studies class in school. Federal > State > Local....

The federal laws which protect ALL birds of prey in the United States of America is called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. An amendment in 1972 gave raptors protected status. The list includes over 800 species.
Well federal laws or not, if I have a hawk killing my chickens I have, and always will, use this:
S - S - S
Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

Well federal laws or not, if I have a hawk killing my chickens I have, and always will, use this:
S - S - S
Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

Exactly
smile.png
I also am sure the game warden would have told me it was against the law if it was, he said no such thing. 2 years ago I called him about a deer coming in the yard and walking up to us then wanting to play fight with my kids. It could have caused injuries to the kids. He told me to shoot it, the next time it came in the yard, however it wasn't my kids that got attacked the next time it was a group of teens walking up the road, before I knew it 4 police showed up and shot it.

Exactly
smile.png
I also am sure the game warden would have told me it was against the law if it was, he said no such thing. 2 years ago I called him about a deer coming in the yard and walking up to us then wanting to play fight with my kids. It could have caused injuries to the kids. He told me to shoot it, the next time it came in the yard, however it wasn't my kids that got attacked the next time it was a group of teens walking up the road, before I knew it 4 police showed up and shot it.

Your game warden is there to be knowledgeable about laws regarding game animals, not raptors.

Ignorance is bliss, especially when you break the law. Except claiming ignorance won't get you out of the fines and jail time.

S - S - S
Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up
Encouraging people to commit felonies isn't exactly a noble cause, and is illegal in itself. It also probably makes this forum liable.

I'm sure you are allowed to protect your property from any pest regardless if the are a protected one. Look in to it

Back
Top Bottom