Hawk Lurking in a Tree (with pics)

Quote:
Indeed.
smile.png

0501.jpg

welcome-byc.gif
LaLoomis!

I'm just south of you and live in a residential area within a couple miles of two nature preserves. The hawks generally pay a visit at this time of the year. If that hawk has decided to hang out in the tree, I would NOT let your girls out to free-range. On two occasions I've had them dive at my girls - once when I was in the yard only a few feet away from them.

I've taken two approaches to this. I built a PVC and netting tractor that was tall enough and light weight enough to move around the yard, over bushes, etc. That worked really well. However, it didn't hold up as well as I would have liked to all the moving so for now I just go out and scan the sky in all directions before letting them out and stay out there with them with my eyes on the sky. They will usually circle before they drop down, so it gives you plenty of time to get your girls back in the coop. The ONLY time my girls get scratch and other such goodies is when I'm putting them back in the coop. They never complain about going.
wink.png
Just be sure to have it ready before you let them out.

Another trick I've done is to put all kinds of patio furniture in my yard and other places to block the flight path and give the girls room to hide.

Unless you're more rural, it'll likely die down in another couple months and you'll have more freedom to let them roam.

From LADWF regulation code:

Predatory animals and crop depletors may be taken by proprietor of said livestock or agricultural investments. When taking birds of prey, steel shot no larger than "F" may be used. Birds may not be reduced to possession during closed season or on otherwise protected birds of prey. They, however may be eliminated and remain in field.

Do your research before accusing me of being an outlaw.

Fredster, they are BEAUTIFUL!!! are they newfoundlands?
Ahhh, how I want one some day....but DH says not till we own our own land...then he says "you can all the animals you want, as long as we can care for them". So the young son and I are still dreaming of a dog....awwww!!!

Now on the hawk issue......
this is our first year of having chickens, and the only one we lost to a preditor was lost to a hawk on thanksgiving morning, one of our little polish.....Coltin (young son) walked out just as the hawk was sitting on the chicken...killing it. After that day, for about 2 weeks I spent most my time outside IF the chickens where out free ranging, I was going to get that hawk before it got another pet of mine! We changed the pattern of how we let the chickens free range, and they didnt free range alone for a while....the hawk went away...no problems since.
We did go to a huge open field (about 10 blocks away) last week to launch rockets and I am almost sure the same hawk was sitting there on a light pole wathing the field....DH said he has seen that hawk there ever since after thanksgiving. I wanted to launch one of our rockets right at the hawk....but I figured...he is not to close to my house, so hopefully he will stay there...and meave my chickens alone.

I would say try to get it away from your property...he is just waiting for his chance!

~Tiff~

oh and FYI
Quote:
Hawk didnt carry off my LF polish, just killed it and tore it up...dont think it even had a chance to make a snack of it...they dont always carry meals off

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh dear, let's not start this again. Migratory birds (including raptors) are protected in the US and shooting/harrassing them is a federal offense with possible jail times and hefty fines, unless of course you have a permit issued to you. A permit will only be issued if it is deemed that other non-lethal means have been attempted. As this is a federal law, it trumps any state/local laws and ordinances. This is easy to look up and has been covered in threads in BYC many times before.

As to the OP's girls: you will need to keep the dears in their run until the hawk has moved on. Others have encouraged crows to help scare away raptors, or have hung CD's, or have livestock guard dogs. You may be able to wait him out, though. For now, I would keep them in their safe little run (it looks great, BTW) and just make sure they have things to scratch for and some greens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom