Hawk. Misssing chickens.

So glad you got all your babies back safe and sound, well, mostly sound. I'm sure they won't protest being cooped up for a while either. I see hawks flying over some of the fields where I live, and just pray they don't find my girls. Our dogs do an okay job of keeping them away, but, you just never know when the day will come that the hawk will take the chance and your dog isn't on guard duty.

So glad you got all your babies back safe and sound, well, mostly sound.  I'm sure they won't protest being cooped up for a while either.  I see hawks flying over some of the fields where I live, and just pray they don't find my girls.  Our dogs do an okay job of keeping them away, but, you just never know when the day will come that the hawk will take the chance and your dog isn't on guard duty.  

Thank you so much!! I'm very glad too and I know that we got very lucky. I saw the hawk and ran out so I am sure that's why they didn't want to come out at first, the hawk had literally just flown away. But thankfully they all came back, with one missing a whooollleeee lotta feathers. LOL. I looked at them when we got home with a flashlight, which they were mad about since they were roosting, but they seemed fine. Couldn't really get a good look at them all since they were roosting and the Orps were both in the back roost except one on the front roost so that stunk lol but I looked as best I could and I didn't see any blood or anything. Didn't even see the missing feathers. One felt like she had a bare tummy but I think I just had my hand under feathers. One appeared to be missing a clump of butt fluff but could have been the way she was perched. Thank goodness those Orpingtons have fluffy fluffy butts!! LOL probably took off in a flurry of feathers. Anyhow, I hope your girls continue to be okay! We have a lot of hawks I think so should probably just keep them locked up. The weird thing was our dog was home (though inside) and even when the hawk was in a tree in the backyard made no sound. I didn't even know they were missing until I actually saw the hawk. He should have been barking. But then again we keep him away so maybe they just live there but aren't his. He also doesn't care about hawks, just coyotes or something. He needs to learn. We need a true guardian raised with them lol

I checked them as best I could from outside then went in and grabbed the Orps and checked under their wings then flipped them on their backs which I think is cruel cause they can't breath? Or is that only upside down hanging by the legs? Mine were like a baby. But I didn't do it for long, just enough to check their stomach and look for missing feathers or wounds. I can not even tell which chicken lost all the feathers but I suppose that is a good thing. Tried to flip an Australorp, she fought for a sec but was okay but tried to fight. May the BR I couldn't even look cause she fought and got away. Oh well. She looked fine too. Glad they are all fine.

And....

We got 4 eggs today!!!!

I thought for sure they would be stressed out after the hawk attack and not lay but they laid! Although 2 have stopped since we were getting 6 eggs a say but hopefully they lay their eggs later today.

I think they were more stressed out by me checking them out than they were by the **** hawk!!! Some even wanted to go out! Not as "mob the door!!!" As usual but still. Of course I did not let them out.

I'm so happy their all safe.
wee.gif

Just saw 6 hawks fly by. SIX. Thankfully the girls have been locked away since this incident. But why would there be so many?

Back
Top Bottom