Hawk

Missy020219

Songster
Dec 18, 2019
Buick Creek, British Columbia, Canada
I have chickens and now it’s starting to get warm again after a long winter, so now they are finally aloud to go outside. But this last week I’ve seen a hawk flying around our place. It’s been a bit colder the last few days so I’ve kept my chickens inside and I haven’t seen the hawk now either. It’s very hard to get my chickens back into the coop when the are free ranging, so I don’t want to risk them getting taken out by a hawk. Do you think the hawk won’t come back? Should I keep my chickens in the coop a little longer?

Free ranging is always a risk, with or without a rooster. My roosters get killed out there too.
We have lost birds to Cooper's, Red tailed and Red shouldered hawks over the years, by far mostly our bantams, or a young bird. Often the first warning we have is that dead bird, or pile of feathers.
For zero risk, don't free range at all.
Mary

One thing I do when I see a hawk or eagle is point at the bird in the sky and whistle a long alerting whistle. More people whistling at once the better. It lets the Hawk/bird of prey know that you are aware of their presence and you are making it known to everyone. My birds all run for cover as soon as I start to whistle.

I have two geese and two Guinea Hen males and when I hear them making a ton of noise I go check it out. Typically there is or was recently a hawk nearby. And when they are hiding their large goose bodies in a spot that is too small for them I know for sure there is trouble.

Free ranging is always a risk, with or without a rooster. My roosters get killed out there too.
We have lost birds to Cooper's, Red tailed and Red shouldered hawks over the years, by far mostly our bantams, or a young bird. Often the first warning we have is that dead bird, or pile of feathers.
For zero risk, don't free range at all.
Mary
Oh ok. They weren't free range but the horses keep breaking the fence. I was lucky enough to not have a dead bird. My dogs started running and barking at something on the field and then a hawk flew up

I have chickens and now it’s starting to get warm again after a long winter, so now they are finally aloud to go outside. But this last week I’ve seen a hawk flying around our place. It’s been a bit colder the last few days so I’ve kept my chickens inside and I haven’t seen the hawk now either. It’s very hard to get my chickens back into the coop when the are free ranging, so I don’t want to risk them getting taken out by a hawk. Do you think the hawk won’t come back? Should I keep my chickens in the coop a little longer?
Hello, I'm a bird of prey ID expert. I've been studying raptors for several years now.

What did the said bird look like, roughly how large was it?
Colors and patterns if visible, would be helpful.

As for will he come back, he may or may not.

Back
Top Bottom