I came across this thread iso hawk deterrent ideas. Been reading a lot of stuff online, discussion posts etc and have ascertained best strategy is to create coverage and escape spots. I'm in Wisconsin where everything is dying with winter so my hens are losing coverage with leaves dropping. I have been thinking about umbrellas to stick in the grass that have a reflective design. I prefer the natural organic look of teepees and wood structures but am feeling need for more aggressive approach. There is this big determined red tailed hawk who has found my chicken nuggets and injured one of my hens recently (she's lost an eye) and has come back every day since. Do these imaginary umbrellas exist and has anyone tried anything like this?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've taken a twofold approach by creating additional hideouts for my chickens in my backyard, and adding a lot of shiny stuff to annoy the hawk. It looks as weird as it sounds, ngl. My backyard looks pretty psychedelic. I made a chicken teepee from branches and my bf made a structure from two pallets, like a hut or a cabana. I'm going to add one more teepee and I have more shiny things coming plus a roll of bird scare tape to put on the back of my chickens. Ha ha, I'm kidding on the last one. I've been keeping my chickens in during AM, letting them out in the afternoon when risk seems lower. My hope is that these modifications will enable my chickens to be out in the yard all day. Jolene, my faverolle, fly-hops around out of sheer joy when she's finally let out of the coop.
I did read about promoting crows to deter hawks. I wasn't able to find any clear strategies to promote crows in the yard beyond offering general bird attractions (food, water, trees). Maybe the shiny stuff will attract them? Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've taken a twofold approach by creating additional hideouts for my chickens in my backyard, and adding a lot of shiny stuff to annoy the hawk. It looks as weird as it sounds, ngl. My backyard looks pretty psychedelic. I made a chicken teepee from branches and my bf made a structure from two pallets, like a hut or a cabana. I'm going to add one more teepee and I have more shiny things coming plus a roll of bird scare tape to put on the back of my chickens. Ha ha, I'm kidding on the last one. I've been keeping my chickens in during AM, letting them out in the afternoon when risk seems lower. My hope is that these modifications will enable my chickens to be out in the yard all day. Jolene, my faverolle, fly-hops around out of sheer joy when she's finally let out of the coop.
I did read about promoting crows to deter hawks. I wasn't able to find any clear strategies to promote crows in the yard beyond offering general bird attractions (food, water, trees). Maybe the shiny stuff will attract them? Fingers crossed.
Shiny things do attract crows! I never knew that, until reading:

https://dailybirder.com/attracting-crows-to-your-backyard-8-tips/

P.S. Amazon sells fake crows. You can even get a 6-pack of them! 🙂

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom