Hawks in the run!!

Luke Ricciardone

Hatching
May 26, 2018
Hi my name is Luke. I am building my chicken coop right now and we will be attaching a run. We don’t want to put a tip on it but we are worried about hawks. Any suggestions?

If you create a "hawk ramada" in the center of the run, the chickens, being very keen observers of the sky, will be able to scoot under it when they spot an incoming hawk. Hawk attacks are dive bomb maneuvers, and by supplying cover, you give your chickens a way to protect themselves.

A ramada can be as simple as setting up an old card table in the run. Or you can build something that more closely resembles a coffee table for them to scoot under.

If you create a "hawk ramada" in the center of the run, the chickens, being very keen observers of the sky, will be able to scoot under it when they spot an incoming hawk. Hawk attacks are dive bomb maneuvers, and by supplying cover, you give your chickens a way to protect themselves.

A ramada can be as simple as setting up an old card table in the run. Or you can build something that more closely resembles a coffee table for them to scoot under.
if you do that though make sure it is low to ground so the hawk cant just fly under there with them

I also saw that you can put twin or fishing line on the top. Could that work?

The belief is that fishing line keeps the hawk from making an attempt. Rather than stopping a diving hawk.

Although there are hawks in the area I haven't had any trouble from them. Of course, there are a lot of rabbits and other small creatures any hawk would find easier to get to.

Usually hawks will not go into a place they don't think they can get out of. So using string or twine laced across the top is a deterrent. I use it when I need to set up a temporary enclosure, or I use bird or wildlife netting which works also. I prefer things they can see clearly, I just want to deter them, not get them hurt. Just be aware that those things will only deter a flying predator. The four legged type will go right through it.

Back
Top Bottom