Hawks: Large chicken run to cover a coop on stilts?

When I had hawk issues I got 8 2x4's 8ft tall put bird net on top put it over where my flock free ranged the hawks got so annoyed they couldn't get to them they left. Can't wait to see what you accomplish you have to post pic's and welcome to BYC

The cage is the coop. Roost bar, tarp roof over bird net if I wanted to remove the tarp. I have the dog kennel brooder in there and most fly up to the roost at night now.
How about for the winter time? How do they keep warm in an open environment, or even nasty weather?

How about for the winter time? How do they keep warm in an open environment, or even nasty weather?
I have more tarp on the sides for bad weather. Our big problem here is heat and falcons. And Javalina. And Coyotes. Bobcats. I invested in electric fence. In winter I will back it up to the little shed and that will be the North side. Metal roofing panels bolt to the sides, too.

There is so much you could do with what you have! Grab a post hold digger and some twine and concrete mix with some 6-8 ft tall 4x4s and bury them 2ft down and use the twine to keep them in line and straight. Run it to your current run and connect them. Drop some cloth wire or cinder blocks like what you currently have in the ground to prevent critters digging in and then run some netting around it. Make it small enough you could use a tarp for the roof in a tent fashion. Or use some netting also.

Lots of people use a cattle panel hoop house for their birds. But I did not have a good way to get cattle panels here. This looks nicer, it is visible from the street in our in town location, but I am making a smaller hoop style house out of conduit. It will be 6 x 10 and have some growing birds. And tomatoes in the fall!
IMG_0220 text.jpg

I got this because we have a protected Peregrine Falcon nesting area less than 2 miles away (as the Falcon flies). It is almost 8' tall at the peak -- 6 feet at the top of the door. It is sold as a kit on Ebay. I put a link below the photo.
View attachment 2295782
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicken-Ru...var=602768948070&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Parront,
I don’t know much about Perregrine Falcons except what I have seen on animal planet shows, etc or read in those types of magazines such as National Geographic. We don’t have them normally our far South in Northeast MS but for some reason one has migrated to our small town which is very rural and very quiet. He or she has a roost I believe in one of the church steeples which does not get touched often and he makes patrols only during food hunting but that is about the only time we see him out. I don’t know how old it is and not many people in our town realize that he is not a regular red tail hawk or buzzard. We get very large hawks with large wing spans so they easily misjudge that he is not a hawk since they know we don’t have another kind of bird around here of any other species. I’m the bird watcher but. I have one neighbor down the road who also knows what he is and he mentioned it to my husband. They are avid hunters and know their birds usually.

Parront,
I don’t know much about Perregrine Falcons except what I have seen on animal planet shows, etc or read in those types of magazines such as National Geographic. We don’t have them normally our far South in Northeast MS but for some reason one has migrated to our small town which is very rural and very quiet. He or she has a roost I believe in one of the church steeples which does not get touched often and he makes patrols only during food hunting but that is about the only time we see him out. I don’t know how old it is and not many people in our town realize that he is not a regular red tail hawk or buzzard. We get very large hawks with large wing spans so they easily misjudge that he is not a hawk since they know we don’t have another kind of bird around here of any other species. I’m the bird watcher but. I have one neighbor down the road who also knows what he is and he mentioned it to my husband. They are avid hunters and know their birds usually.
We have the best hunters on the planet less than 2 miles from us! That is why I have the cage I posted. There are Zero pigeons in our town square. This is from our local paper:
Peregrine_Falcon_area_closures_t715.jpg

Back
Top Bottom