Head bump, now one eye is solid white! PICS added!**2nd Update**

Yes, you can get them at the feed store or like a tractor supply. I know the only antibiotic my feed store had was duramycin and it is a powder form you can put into their water.
I however did take a previous chicken to a vet and had some antibiotics leftover from her and that is what I gave my boy recently but you can definitely see what they have there and start him on it!!!
When you get something and if you are unsure of the dosage, post back and we can try to help you with it. Maybe give the feed store a call to see what they might have there???

We're not sure if it was injury. It happened quickly. we noticed over a weekend.

I called the feed store and they carryLincomycin-Spectinomycin, Antibaterial and Antimycoplasmal in a couple brands and sizes.

The Lincomycin-Spectinomycin is a broad spectrum and would be a good one to try. It can be effective in treating strep or staph infections as well as some others!! I would put him on it to see if it helps clear things up???

How do you use it? The directions say it is for chicks up to a week old. Say 2 grams per gallon of water. Do I have to treat all the birds or just give it to this one? The rest have no problems at all.

That is odd that it says only for a chick up to a week old. I would only give it to this one right now, not the others. How big is the package? Does it say how much is in the package like in ounces or grams or does it say how many grams per teaspoon or tablespoon? I will try to look for the usual amount as well in the meantime.

Edited....the only thing I could find for the reason not to give to chickens older than 7 days is because this antibiotic can be found in the muscle & organs after administration and also in the eggs. So, I guess there is a chance if you give this to an older chicken and you consume the eggs, you can ingest it as well.

From what I have seen this is the human equivalent to clindamycin which is a powerful antibiotic. I don't know if my avian vet is in tomorrow but if you want to hold off on giving it just to be sure, I can call and ask. If he is not the one on for the weekend, it might have to wait until Monday until I can get an answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I will check to make sure just what I got and post it tomorrow.

here the packaging from what I was able to get. Haven't used it yet just put it into a seal-able container.

CHCICKENANTI.jpg

CHCICKENANTI2.jpg

Hope this helps.

I can check on the why for the "up to 7 days" note on the package. I have looking for info and I can't find anything on it as to the reason why only up to 7 days. The only thing is I seen it is restricted in use for cows because it shows up in the milk. It could be the same for chickens in that it comes through to the meat and/or egg. I did post on here to see if anyone else knows why and I can call my vet on Monday too to ask.
It is a good antibiotic though for killing all gram positive cocci.

Back
Top Bottom