victoriapena123

Hatching
Mar 2, 2021
Hey guys. I am new to chicken raising but long story short... I have 3 egg laying hens and 2 baby chicks (about 3 weeks old) raised them since they were days old. One of my adult hens seems to be very territorial, and has plucked the feathers out of one of my other adult ones. They've been separated and she's healing just fine but today she did something I would have never expected!!

I woke up this morning to both of my baby chicks with head injuries ( open wounds on their heads from the adult hen. She must've broke into the chick pen and got to them. I separated them from each other, so currently both chicks are in cardboard boxes in my house, with food and water.

One of them just has shallow wounds, so I had my boyfriend run over to the local farm supply store and pick up some wound care. They suggested this. (Pictured below). I cleaned and disinfected her wound with the spray and then gently rubbed some of the cover up lotion on the chick with the shallow wound. She seems to be doing alright. Has been resting all day and eating and drinking normal.

But I'm worried about my other chick. She unfortunately suffered more. (pictured below). Huge OPEN WOUND from the top of her head (right behind her eyes) to the bottom of her neck. She is eating like normal but I haven't seem her drink any water. Disinfected and cleaned the wound with the spray but am holding off on the cover up lotion. I am reading that you can put Neosporin on their wounds? Would you recommend this? She is starting to worry me now because when I listen closely, she seems to be breathing heavier than normal, almost like she is wheezing? or pushing out air hard? She hasn't been crying or chirping. And is still alert.

Also I can't tell if she is becoming dizzy or it it becoming hard for her to hold up her head when she walks. Every time she stands to walk, her head seems to slightly droop, and she walks all over the place and jolts around. I can tell her wound is bothering her. Also, I spread out her food on an elevated brick so she does't have to extend her head down to eat. It has been helping because she is struggling to extend her head down.

Any suggestions? Is she suffering or is there hope for her to heal?
Graphic Images Inserted. The yellow chick is the one with the severe head injury.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.26.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.26.18 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.25.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.25.49 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.32.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.32.48 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.33.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.33.13 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 84
also let me know if it's possible to insert videos. I can upload one of her jolting around so you can see what I mean. Also of how alert she is, she doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Sorry about your chick :hugs

I had something similar happen to one of my chicks a few weeks ago. Her head was pecked nearly down to her skull.

I washed the wound with Vetricyn (wound care spary for animals), and then applied Blu-Kote and Neosporin. I kept applying the neosporin every day. After around 2 weeks, I pulled some of the scabs off to help new tissue grow.

It's been a few more weeks and my pullet is mostly healed. Chickens are surprising hardy when it comes to injurys! Your pullet should be able to pull through.

Do you have any Nutri-drench or electrolytes you can add to her water? That might give her some more energy and keep her alert.

Oh poor babies! Some yrs back we had a lil one get attacked by a roo, and broke the poor Lil things head fairly bad but we saved him. We cleaned the wounds with boiled salt water for saline solution. He had a spot that was bleeding so badly that we had to use corn starch to help it clot fearing it would bleed to death, fortunately u seem to have avoided that, but I would clean the wounds with the saline, just Luke warm and dress them with a good layer of Neosporin, make sure it's the plain, not pain relief type,u can read active ingredient list and if it says lidocaine,or anything ending in 'caine' don't use it on ur chicks, in a pinch even petroleum jelly can help. U want to keep the wounds with a coat of either Neosporin or the petroleum jelly for awhile,it will help it heal and also keep in moisture. If u need to cover the wounds use a heavy coating of petroleum jelly on the side touching the wounds so that it will prevent it from sticking to the injuries. For the lil guy that is worse u may want to make him a gruel out of his feed with some water and if available a vitamin solution to see if it will help get some liquid in him since u haven't seen him drinking, it's possible that the way they move their heads to drink is painful, u can also offer small bits of cucumber, melon, even soggy bread to help hydrate him. Have u tried elevating the water also? If you have a nipple drinker that might be easier for him also, it can be hard trying to figure out how to make things easier for the lil guy since they can't tell us what the issue is,if it hurts too much to do or what. Mine too would jolt around at times, I think it had to do with either having a concussion type thing or maybe like random shooting pain from the injuries. Just try to make sure that it's getting some food and water and do the best u can to clean the wounds and keep the Neosporin or petroleum jelly on it and be watchful for infection and insects getting to it. Hope this helps ur Lil ones keep us posted.

PS ..sry I don't have as much experience with the products u showed, when this happened to me it was an act now situation b4 the poor Lil one bleeds to death, so we just went at it with what was on hand, others here may be able to give more information, but our lil guy lived on although we suspected that his intellect was somewhat damaged.

Poor chicks...but I've had much worse happen, skin was hanging & I saw neck tendons. I did apply Neosporin gently & I set chick up in a warm brooder that 1st night, then moved her & another picked on chick over to the bathtub that I use as a larger brooder & I just heat the entire tiny bathroom. Crumble feed is avail. at all times, but let me tell ya, they go nuts for mealworms...it amazed me as they'd never seen mealworms before, but they knew! The one not eating changed her mind when she saw mealworms! The 1st few days are rough but 2 weeks later it healed up so fast & well, could barely tell anything even happened. A visible boo boo, scab or wound will attract more pecking, though, so you can't put them back near anyone else too soon. I had to set up the injured in my spare bathroom bathtub. That's also where I've had chicks set up from TractorSupply, so that bathtub was great, just put some tape over the drain & filled tub with wood flakes, set up feed and water & closed the shower curtain to keep them in there. I used an oil filled heater that plugs in for radiant heat, the bathroom was a toasty 85 degrees & I hung a feather duster upside down from the spigot for them to huddle under. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sorry about your chick :hugs

I had something similar happen to one of my chicks a few weeks ago. Her head was pecked nearly down to her skull.

I washed the wound with Vetricyn (wound care spary for animals), and then applied Blu-Kote and Neosporin. I kept applying the neosporin every day. After around 2 weeks, I pulled some of the scabs off to help new tissue grow.

It's been a few more weeks and my pullet is mostly healed. Chickens are surprising hardy when it comes to injurys! Your pullet should be able to pull through.

Do you have any Nutri-drench or electrolytes you can add to her water? That might give her some more energy and keep her alert.
Oh poor babies! Some yrs back we had a lil one get attacked by a roo, and broke the poor Lil things head fairly bad but we saved him. We cleaned the wounds with boiled salt water for saline solution. He had a spot that was bleeding so badly that we had to use corn starch to help it clot fearing it would bleed to death, fortunately u seem to have avoided that, but I would clean the wounds with the saline, just Luke warm and dress them with a good layer of Neosporin, make sure it's the plain, not pain relief type,u can read active ingredient list and if it says lidocaine,or anything ending in 'caine' don't use it on ur chicks, in a pinch even petroleum jelly can help. U want to keep the wounds with a coat of either Neosporin or the petroleum jelly for awhile,it will help it heal and also keep in moisture. If u need to cover the wounds use a heavy coating of petroleum jelly on the side touching the wounds so that it will prevent it from sticking to the injuries. For the lil guy that is worse u may want to make him a gruel out of his feed with some water and if available a vitamin solution to see if it will help get some liquid in him since u haven't seen him drinking, it's possible that the way they move their heads to drink is painful, u can also offer small bits of cucumber, melon, even soggy bread to help hydrate him. Have u tried elevating the water also? If you have a nipple drinker that might be easier for him also, it can be hard trying to figure out how to make things easier for the lil guy since they can't tell us what the issue is,if it hurts too much to do or what. Mine too would jolt around at times, I think it had to do with either having a concussion type thing or maybe like random shooting pain from the injuries. Just try to make sure that it's getting some food and water and do the best u can to clean the wounds and keep the Neosporin or petroleum jelly on it and be watchful for infection and insects getting to it. Hope this helps ur Lil ones keep us posted.
Poor chicks...but I've had much worse happen, skin was hanging & I saw neck tendons. I did apply Neosporin gently & I set chick up in a warm brooder that 1st night, then moved her & another picked on chick over to the bathtub that I use as a larger brooder & I just heat the entire tiny bathroom. Crumble feed is avail. at all times, but let me tell ya, they go nuts for mealworms...it amazed me as they'd never seen mealworms before, but they knew! The one not eating changed her mind when she saw mealworms! The 1st few days are rough but 2 weeks later it healed up so fast & well, could barely tell anything even happened. A visible boo boo, scab or wound will attract more pecking, though, so you can't put them back near anyone else too soon. I had to set up the injured in my spare bathroom bathtub. That's also where I've had chicks set up from TractorSupply, so that bathtub was great, just put some tape over the drain & filled tub with wood flakes, set up feed and water & closed the shower curtain to keep them in there. I used an oil filled heater that plugs in for radiant heat, the bathroom was a toasty 85 degrees & I hung a feather duster upside down from the spigot for them to huddle under. Hope this helps.
UPDATES: Thank you all for your help and support. I have been keeping both inside. I'm using the veterinarian vet spray to disinfect the wounds, and neosporin. They are both eating and drinking, and seem to be alert and energized. The black chick is healing up, her wound wasn't as severe.
UPDATES: Thank you all for your help and support. I have been keeping both inside. I'm using the veterinarian vet spray to disinfect the wounds, and neosporin. They are both eating and drinking, and seem to be alert and energized. The black chick is healing up, her wound wasn't as severe.
But I need more help, ASAP.

I thought the yellow chick was healing up fine. yesterday, she stopped bleeding and her wounds were a pinkish color. She began eating and drinking like normal, and was even moving around. I had hope for her healing. but this morning, things took a turn for her. I was doing my morning cleaning of her wounds and noticed she was excessively bleeding, with some blood in her box. I immediately picked her up to inspect what was going on and noticed maggots coming out of her wounds. I do not know how this happened, but either way, it's happened. Is there any hope to help this! Any experience with maggots?

I called the veterinarian, and they referred me to an exotic animal hospital. The charges were very high, and I'm not sure I can afford it. They told me to hold off on any topical medication, as it can help the maggots thrive. We talked about the possible options for flushing out her wounds and putting her on antibiotics, or euthanasia if she's too severe. My boyfriend suggested we pick out the maggots ourselves? But I'm not sure how to go about this. I don't have the heart to let him put her down. I would only allow a vet to. Please help if you have any experience with this.

She is alert, eating and drinking fine, but I do notice her shaking her head around every so often. Poor baby, I don't want her to suffer any longer. Is there any topical medication or remedies that kill maggots? I don't want to loose hope, but also don't want her to suffer.

I am reading on other posts that there is hope. I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get home so he can help me flush out the wounds, and get her healed up. But please, still let me know your suggestions

Back
Top Bottom