Head injury on chick (HELP!)

sassychickens76

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
So we had something bad happen. Our guess is that the chick went to get food they is right beside the box for him. Then, another chicken came and pecked him in the head. It looks pretty bad, but our friend/vet said that it would heal. It was fresh and we put Neosporin on it. He/she is tough.
20210412_183109.jpg

This is when it first happened.
20210412_202012.jpg

This is our setup.
20210412_203109.jpg

This is now. What temp should I keep him at?

He has been chirping non stop. I have to spoon feed him but he drank 6 spoonfuls of water. He also ate a bit of chick feed mash. I hope he gets better, thank you!

DON'T put another chick with it, until it's healed. Yes, it will peck his head. Yes, keep the neosporin on it, at least twice a day. Be gentle. How old is the chick? That will tell you the temp it should be at. I start them at 95 the first week, 90 the second, 85 the third, 80 the fourth, and so on. I measure the temp at the bottom of the brooder. Angle the lamp so it's a bit cooler at one end. That way it can move towards the warmer end, or cooler end as it wants/needs.

He is 3 days old, he hatched under my broody on Sunday. Thank you! I am new to chicken keeping as I got my Cochin Bantams last year. I have learned so much and this is my first chick that I have actually hatched. He is the only hatching out of 5 so his name is Uno, or 1 in Spanish.

At 3 days old, I'd make sure it was around 95 on the warmer end, at the bottom, and a bit cooler on the opposite end, where the feed/water are placed. You can use paper towels to line the container, so it's not so slick, making it easier for the chick to walk, AND it makes for easier clean up. Another good option is the waffled Rubbermaid type shelf liner. Cut it to fit the container. You will get several out of a roll. They can be rinsed, and tossed in the laundry, then dried in the dryer, ready to be used again.

Pretty sure he is dying. He is having trouble breathing and has always had trouble drinking water. He is not strong enough to lift his head and has gotten to the point where he can't put his feet under himself. It is sad but life. :hit

Back
Top Bottom