Head Picking.. Stupid hens

Fluffypuffy587

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 31, 2012
I am sure this has been asked so many times but I figured I would give this a go.
So anyways I have a frizzle polish rooster with a bald spot on his head. Ever since I got him 5 years ago his mate was the only one picking his head. And at the time when I first got him I would just separate because I use to show them. Now after a while I just put them with my small flock of silkies. For a while the hen didnt peck at all. But the last 2 winters Ive battled with it because Ny has some cold winters. And a breed with a vaulted skull, bald and cold weather is not a good mix. Ive tried nasty flavored stuff (not anyting to hurt him..more like salve or ointemts). Baby powder, baking soda ect. ive separated him so that every single feather grows back on his noggin. And still even after its healed seriously the next day its a mess. Now its not just the one hen. Its also my standard gal. Ive put him in a separate pen that fastened to a shelf type thing in the coop. Its not covered. But you bet darn well the first bird up there is the standard. Its bad enough that a couple times Ive seen them scoot right over and peck his head sore and bloody and the moron seems to enjoy it
idunno.gif
I dont know what to do. Its 2 days from NOV. its already cold out and I ran out of ideas.

Can anyone help me?

This is acctually the first and only bird Ive had problems with. Ive had a few hens get grumpy and feathers would fly but after a few weeks it all grew back. This is more like a bad habbit and something the stinks started when they first hatched. It just got bad over time. These are free ranged chickens. they are 9 banties and one standard. They have a huge coop and a very large run which they never spend much time in there anyways (unless its winter and tons of snow). They are spoiled rotten. They get table scraps. Their food and water dishes are always cleaned and filled... Bugs, pick berries off my berry bushes (and they now they are stinkers but its funny when they try to reach a berry from up high). And When Im eating a sandwich and they see me sadly most of it goes to them because I just like to watch them eat. And if they are happy then so am I =P
So they live an extremely stress free life

I am sure this has been asked so many times but I figured I would give this a go.
So anyways I have a frizzle polish rooster with a bald spot on his head. Ever since I got him 5 years ago his mate was the only one picking his head. And at the time when I first got him I would just separate because I use to show them. Now after a while I just put them with my small flock of silkies. For a while the hen didnt peck at all. But the last 2 winters Ive battled with it because Ny has some cold winters. And a breed with a vaulted skull, bald and cold weather is not a good mix. Ive tried nasty flavored stuff (not anyting to hurt him..more like salve or ointemts). Baby powder, baking soda ect. ive separated him so that every single feather grows back on his noggin. And still even after its healed seriously the next day its a mess. Now its not just the one hen. Its also my standard gal. Ive put him in a separate pen that fastened to a shelf type thing in the coop. Its not covered. But you bet darn well the first bird up there is the standard. Its bad enough that a couple times Ive seen them scoot right over and peck his head sore and bloody and the moron seems to enjoy it
idunno.gif
I dont know what to do. Its 2 days from NOV. its already cold out and I ran out of ideas.

Can anyone help me?

I've found that lack of intelligence does not negatively impact the flavor of chickens ~'-)

But, rather than including links to delicious recipes, I figured you'd wanna check a few other threads on this subject first:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/235765/feather-picking-polish-help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/693632/polish-feather-picking

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...then-blu-kote-plus-a-head-of-cabbage-now-what

If all else fails? Lemme know if you need those recipes ...

Lol he is as durpy as they come. But I would have a hard time eating him without crying all over my chicken dinner first
lau.gif

The hens are certainly at that lvl... a whole hair away...

I've found that lack of intelligence does not negatively impact the flavor of chickens ~'-)

But, rather than including links to delicious recipes, I figured you'd wanna check a few other threads on this subject first:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/235765/feather-picking-polish-help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/693632/polish-feather-picking

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...then-blu-kote-plus-a-head-of-cabbage-now-what

If all else fails? Lemme know if you need those recipes ...
Wow so basically everyone has problems with the breed in general and nobody can figure out what to do.. LOL I am guess the breed or I should say frizzle polish are mentaly impaired
lau.gif
. So I should let him look like the guys from the 3 stooges with the bad hair? have to keep the scissors away from the children. Or the next suprise is spending money at the barber shop.

We raised some of the finest lookin' black angus anybody'd seen around here, but they tended to be seen too often on the wrong side of our fences. And, rather than the AI of show stock, one mated w/ a scrubby mixed bull, producing twins that grew up to act as if she divided the worst of one bull between 'em. I despised 'em, and woulda killed 'em in several of the many fits of rage they'd inspired, had I been able to just get a lil' bit closer ...

Finally, Mom 'n Dad decided to have 'em butchered, and they were the most difficult I'd ever loaded, breaking the rack and denting the roof of the cab. But, finally, they were off for processing. But, as if as their last act of defiance? They'd ate their fill of wild onions for long enough to flavor their meat. And, their meat ... more like they were all rawhide, clear to the bone. Nobody wanted to eat it, save for in stews 'n such, except for me ... still remember how terrible those ridiculously tough and stringy steaks were, almost as much as I can recall that I truly enjoyed each and every bite.

And, I just realized ... I still hate 'em both, to this very day.

We raised some of the finest lookin' black angus anybody'd seen around here, but they tended to be seen too often on the wrong side of our fences. And, rather than the AI of show stock, one mated w/ a scrubby mixed bull, producing twins that grew up to act as if she divided the worst of one bull between 'em. I despised 'em, and woulda killed 'em in several of the many fits of rage they'd inspired, had I been able to just get a lil' bit closer ...

Finally, Mom 'n Dad decided to have 'em butchered, and they were the most difficult I'd ever loaded, breaking the rack and denting the roof of the cab. But, finally, they were off for processing. But, as if as their last act of defiance? They'd ate their fill of wild onions for long enough to flavor their meat. And, their meat ... more like they were all rawhide, clear to the bone. Nobody wanted to eat it, save for in stews 'n such, except for me ... still remember how terrible those ridiculously tough and stringy steaks were, almost as much as I can recall that I truly enjoyed each and every bite.

And, I just realized ... I still hate 'em both, to this very day.
ewwwwwwwwwwww. I threw up a lil. lol

Yes it is awful but the first taste of blood and smell does intice nasty birds to come and have a go. We used to have white hens (not sure of their proper name) and they were awful to each other. However, a neighbour gave us some purple substance and the effect was amazing! And because the pecking stopped, it meant the poor bird healed.

We have now Rhode Island Reds and French hens and they are fine with each other. Actually, we have a very sick and close to dying hen, and even with her walking around half there, they did not attack her, but that is possibly due to no bleeding.

We also have some silver substance and this acts as a healing agent.

I am sorry because I do not know the names, and not sure if these are just french products. But it is worth asking your vet.

Suzanne

Thats blu coat. Yeah... no I tried that and It didnt work. It completly heals its fine for a couple weeks and when I put him back in with the flock the next day he doesnt have feathers... He was a handsome bird and when I went to shows I got commented allot about how beautiful he is. Again I separated him for shows so noone had a chance to pick at him..
Now he is ugly
he.gif

What do I do fasten a hat to his head so my dodo dont get frost burn?

ewwwwwwwwwwww. I threw up a lil. lol
I keep forgettin' that most folks don't wanna make that connection in their minds between the farm animals and the foods they produce ... but, some of the happiest/proudest times our family ever had were around tables full of foods that (save for those most basic ingredients such as wheat flour, salt, etc.) came directly as the result of our own labors, and God's blessings ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom