Head Shaking

ShannonsChimkens

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 4, 2020
Arlington Washington
Hello chicken people. I have received a lot of information from this site over the last few months. Finally decided to stop searching through the forums for an answer and just ask!

I have 3 older hens and their rooster (4 guineas as well) in one hen house and two new batches of 17 little chims in a second hen house. I first noticed the rooster shaking his head constantly. Now the other ones in that hen house are doing it. The smaller ones were in a brooder box in our house for 4 and 6 weeks. My daughter brought her favorite Cemani out to the chicken area (1 acre) twice. Now all the younger ones are doing it :/

I’ve read for a bit and found out it’s mites? Sprayed everyone and everything with permethrin and DE in the sand flooring and dust bin. It’s been three days and two treatments later, they’re still shaking their heads. I don’t see anything on them. Checked vent area and under wings. Am I missing something?

I will admit I’m new to chicken keeping, but spend a lot of time researching things. Hatched out two batches of little ones (only at 50% hatch rate) and bought the young guineas and older chickens. We purchased 6 acres in November and I’m in heaven :) except
for the pest issue... if I can just get the emu eggs to hatch in 4 more weeks and get rid of the head shaking. Things will be good.

Attachments

• ADD3F2F3-FB34-48BB-A7D4-1BF6E660BA54.jpeg
    ADD3F2F3-FB34-48BB-A7D4-1BF6E660BA54.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 16
  • F6755F61-8A7F-4897-8D7F-C6D73C133E91.jpeg
    F6755F61-8A7F-4897-8D7F-C6D73C133E91.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 11463EA9-2503-49C5-947F-C4D7C76A0A50.jpeg
    11463EA9-2503-49C5-947F-C4D7C76A0A50.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 8E8DF684-F166-4963-BCEA-4C4EB24B3015.jpeg
    8E8DF684-F166-4963-BCEA-4C4EB24B3015.jpeg
    653.4 KB · Views: 9
Welcome To BYC!

Where are you located in the world?
Have you gone out after dark and inspected the chickens and roosting bars for mites?
Are they shaking their heads all the time or just when inside the coop? Do you have a video of their actions? (for video, upload to youtube and provide a link)

Anyone have any other type of symptoms - mucous, coughing, sneezing, lesions inside the beak, ears clogged up, etc.?

What Permethrin product did you use?

I can't remember seeing any of my hens shake their heads, but I have noticed my roos doing so from time to time. Not sure why, but I have noticed it happening after some very cold nights and beatdowns by another rooster. Those times made me think it was their reaction to pain. Other times I have no idea why they do it. It doesn't happen often; just something they do once in a while.

We’re in Arlington, Washington. Which is north of Seattle and a couple hours south of the Canadian border. We’re averaging 34 to 38 degrees at night and 40 to 48 during the day.

The only other symptom is an “an itchy look” to them. Preening constantly and they seem irritated while doing it. No coughing, runny noses, etc. The permethrin used was 10% in an 8oz bottle purchased from my local feed store. A little less than .5 oz in a half gallon sprayer.

I am guilty of talking to all my creatures. But they do it even when I sit and just watch them. The little ones never shook their heads before my daughter brought her baby outside to play a couple times. I panicked when the whole group of chicks inside was uncomfortable. Tried just DE, reduced head shaking, but didn’t take care of it. So moved to more desperate measures with permethrin.

They little ones have graduated to the other coop as of yesterday (the trailer in the first post). They’re still shaking, or I guess you could call it flicking the head. A fast movement like they’re trying to get something off of them. I will get some video today and upload it in a bit. Below is a video I just found from a week or two ago.

I'm not sure about the head flicking, sorry. My chickens do it sometimes for sure, but not enough that I've ever been concerned. Good song though!

Ha! I didn’t even notice music in the background. My daughter must have been watching something :) I took that video just because, then went back and watched it this morning and noticed the shaking.

The only other symptom is an “an itchy look” to them. Preening constantly and they seem irritated while doing it.

They’re still shaking, or I guess you could call it flicking the head.
For the babies (chicks) likely the itching is feathers coming in - you mention a lot more dander lately - they are shedding keratin sheaths and new feathers coming in. Are you seeing them dust bath at all?

The rooster - check his crop to make sure it's emptying by morning.

Back
Top Bottom