Head twisting ... neuro or mites?

camijodog

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
About 4 months ago, one of our 3 yr old Buff Orpingtons started twisting her head back and forth (like she's saying no) constantly. She moves fine, can stop doing it long enough to drink and eat, she can perch and navigate well. We took her to a vet when it started, he prescribed antibiotics, suspected it was neurological, but never gave a definitive diagnosis. The twisting has progressively gotten worse, and now she walks in circles sometimes. Has anyone else ever seen this? We are going to try vitamin supplements and treating her for ear mites, but I feel her quality of life is now not very good, so euthanasia is our next option. Just looking for any more ideas before doing that.I've read about Ploy Vi Sol ... what would be the dosage?ANd any ear mite medicine recommendations?

It sounds like it is neurological in origin although neck movements can some times be from a crop problem or adjusting the crop to help food go down. The walking in circles along with neck movements can be signs of wry neck. Can you post a short video (on YouTube or Vimeo) with a link here? I would give some vitamin E 400 IU daily, along with a 1/4 of a tablet of human super B complex in food. The thiamine in the B complex and the E are good for treatment of neurological symptoms. There could be some type of brain problem or head injury, and Mareks disease can cause neurological or brain issues. It’s good that she can eat and drink with this problem.

Thank you! I will try to post the video, had no luck doing so yesterday. I will also try the vitamins. The condition varies in severity daily, so just when I think it's time to put her down, I see her perching with her girlfriends and enjoying a dust bath.

It sounds like it is neurological in origin although neck movements can some times be from a crop problem or adjusting the crop to help food go down. The walking in circles along with neck movements can be signs of wry neck. Can you post a short video (on YouTube or Vimeo) with a link here? I would give some vitamin E 400 IU daily, along with a 1/4 of a tablet of human super B complex in food. The thiamine in the B complex and the E are good for treatment of neurological symptoms. There could be some type of brain problem or head injury, and Mareks disease can cause neurological or brain issues. It’s good that she can eat and drink with this problem.
Here's the video:

Back
Top Bottom