Health Issue Affecting Chicks and Juveniles

Starting last night all sick birds where given fresh feed. MannaPro medicated chick starter and Corid laced water for smaller birds. Birds I thought where moribund due to onset of hypothermia where brought into warmer conditions. Birds brought inside fed and drank much of the night. They looked much stronger by dawn but not yet able to jump out of a milk crate. By noon they were no longer holding wings up and still feeding well. One 9 week pullet in particular bad shape was taken to work with me where she stayed in truck to warm up even more. She also fed very well. By dark all birds very much stronger.

Recovery too fast to be result of coccidiostats operating. This may in part be a result of bad feed.

All birds bounced back into health very quickly with exception of one runt. Weight is coming back very quickly. If feed, then I have pause about getting more of usual if of same batch. Usual feed from mill that cost roughly half what the TSC version costs that was switched to a few days ago.

All birds bounced back into health very quickly with exception of one runt. Weight is coming back very quickly. If feed, then I have pause about getting more of usual if of same batch. Usual feed from mill that cost roughly half what the TSC version costs that was switched to a few days ago.

May I ask what "type" of feed? Do you use Chick Starter or an all flock/grower?
Any major difference in the ingredients or protein content from mill vs. TSC?
Also does the TSC feed have pro and pre-biotics compared to mill feed?

Possible mill feed was contaminated (?) We have one "mill" if you want to call it that nearby, but in my initial visit was not impressed. Wild bird population was too prevalent for my liking and feed storage looked "iffy" to me, but...never know how that "commercial" feel is handled either
smile.png

May I ask what "type" of feed? Do you use Chick Starter or an all flock/grower?
Any major difference in the ingredients or protein content from mill vs. TSC?
Also does the TSC feed have pro and pre-biotics compared to mill feed?

Possible mill feed was contaminated (?)  We have one "mill" if you want to call it that nearby, but in my initial visit was not impressed.  Wild bird population was too prevalent for my liking and feed storage looked "iffy" to me, but...never know how that "commercial" feel is handled either :)

Formulations are open so I do not know what the feeds are truly made of. My gut feeling this was a vitamin issue at least in part. It could still have been complicated by a pathogen like originally suspected. Immune system is often compromised when nutrition poor.

In the fall as free-range forage collapses for juveniles and chicks, I switch to a mix of game bird grower 24% crude protein diluted with a mix of oats, corn, and millet so overall protein content is in the range of 18 to 20%. The usual game bird grower is made by MFA (Missouri Farmers Association) or at least sold under their label. Today I will check as making a feed run this morning. I switched over to Dumor Chick Starter (24% protein) when I thought feed quality might be involved.

I try to stay away from using antibiotics and medications in feeds so both of above do not have any according to label. Exception to that is with chicks prone to over infestation with coccidia (games confined near adults when ground wet) where I routinely use a medicated feed made by Manna Pro in the little 5 lb bags. Chicks fed the latter did fine but still young enough to be under mothers antibody protection from hatch.

Feed mill I have is two miles away as crow flies and they are very professional. It is possible they or their supplier had a storage issue of someone messed up on mixing when making that batch of feed. I have been using the that stuff enough to generally be confident in its quality. If feed were to come from MFA in northern part of county then storage issue would very much be a concern.

Balance of flock gets a flock raiser mix (confined birds) or simply scratch grains with what ever spillage they can get (free-range adults where there is only about 10 now).

Last edited:
Thanks.

I'm always curious what others feed their flock(s). I know you raise a lot of chickens, so was wandering.

Vitamin deficiency is a good possibility. I'm glad they have recovered.

I only have 7 chickens, but do feed an all flock feed. For "extras" I give mostly home grown veggies, weeds and/or some fresh fruit daily and a very small amount of some type of "scratch" (corn, bird seed, BOSS) whatever I have on hand. Their big "treat" right now is hard boiled eggs. My rooster is molting right now and seems to look forward to the eggs. I wish I could free range, I do have plenty of woods, field and stream, but with that comes plenty of predators as well. Fox and Coyote top the list. I've trapped several Raccoons and Possums and there is a Red Tailed Hawk that sits in the Hickory Tree every day and watches my flock. So for now, anyway, confined is how they will stay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom