May 29, 2019
Hello. Yesterday I posted a thread about our ISA brown, "Buffy," who was suddenly showing signs of heat stress at the peak of the afternoon (here is the OG post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-possible-heat-stroke-or-sick.1327905/).

Well, we took her to the vet today and she found a pretty bad heart murmur (she said she'd only come across this once before in her career--in an old rooster--and it wasn't nearly as bad). At her young age, it is likely congenital. Right now we are feeding her via a tube into her crop--this will hopefully give her enough vitality bad so she will start eating again on her own. We'll also start a course of antibiotics just in case an infection is causing her heart to swell (though her stool test had no evidence of parasites or disease). We think the heat this past week plus her condition pushed her over the edge. For those who may have the same issue in their flock, here were her symptoms:
  • lethargy - mobile but slowed-down
  • sleepiness
  • beak agape and intermittent panting
  • disinterest in eating
  • failure to thrive (wasting)
  • seeming fine until she suddenly wasn't
If she continues to deteriorate we will likely put her down so that she isn't suffering. I really hope she perks up. She is mobile and bright-eyed and bright-wattled/combed, but slowed-down and disinterested in food.

Buffy has been a great big sister to our inaugural backyard flock of 7 girls--she watches over them, guides them towards treats, and corrals them to bed every night. She is a gentle leader to boot. We are grateful to have her for as long as we can, so long as she is living her best life. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Buffy!

Just the other day:

IMG_20190812_185624-01.jpeg

As a baby (I call this a "Belfie" - "Buffy" + Selfie):

IMG_20190509_180205.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Didn't see that coming. It explains why her symptoms were all over the place. I'm very glad you got her to a vet, and I'm glad it wasn't Mareks and won't spread through your whole flock.

I hope she recovers from her wasting away. And now that you know what's going on, I hope you can keep symptoms in check.
:fl

Wow. Didn't see that coming. It explains why her symptoms were all over the place. I'm very glad you got her to a vet, and I'm glad it wasn't Mareks and won't spread through your whole flock.

I hope she recovers from her wasting away. And now that you know what's going on, I hope you can keep symptoms in check.
:fl
Since she was force-fed at the vets she's really perked up. Scratching around in her crate (making a huge mess!) and is now eating on her own pretty consistently. We will likely let her sleep and wake up with her flock and take her in during the hot part of the day and monitor her food/water intake.

Thank you for checking in!

Glad that you got to see a vet. It is impressive that the vet even listened to her heart and picked up the mumur. Hopefully, Buffy will get stronger and live a good long life. Let us know how she gets along.
Yes, we feel lucky to have found this vet in a neighboring town. She was really informative. And now I have confirmation that the flock is healthy and she likely isn't passing anything on to her friends (per the vet's poop scoop).

FYI went to bed with her flock, woke up with them much more herself--scratching around, eating, drinking, etc. I just went out to see if I should take her in since it's getting hot, but she was mid-dust bath and looking happy. I'll probably give her another hour or so and then take her in for some afternoon TLC. :love

Good call. With the way she's been perking up we may hold off on the antibiotics (we haven't yet received them anyway), I think it truly was her heart condition plus the heat. But should we decide to medicate her, we will definitely hold off on eating her eggs.
Wonderful!!!
Just don't eat her eggs, with the meds she's taking.
Mary

Did the vet prescribe the antibiotics and what it
is the name of it? I normally don’t recommend antibiotics unnecessarily, but if the vet prescribed it, it might be helpful in case of a heart inflammation. If you were just going to give one on your own, then hold off.

Antibiotic resistance is a real thing, but in some cases they can help, especially if you know what you are treating. The vet would be best to decide that. Some people just throw antibiotics at chickens, not knowing what they are treating, or what type is needed. Knowing the egg withdrawal time helps as well.

Back
Top Bottom