Thank you for the tips. I’m wondering if a heart murmur is something an untrained person could detect. In the house is not allowed by my husband, but I was sitting her in a tub or cool water when she seemed the most distressed. This is so heartbreaking. My daughter had wanted another barred rock since hers was taken by a hawk a few years ago. She’s such a sweet girl' my daughter worked hard to really keep her people friendly, as she grew from a chick. Someone else suggested it could be worms and frankly, I’m hoping it could be thar' but the symptoms like the open mouth breathing when the others aren’t match her very well.

If you can get a stethoscope (you can buy vet-sized ones online), I do feel it could be detected by an untrained person. A normal heart should have 2 distinct parts of beat ("lub-DUP") but murmurs would also involve a whooshing sound during the heartbeat cycle (looked this up on mayoclinic). I'm guessing this could extend to chickens. Might be worth getting one and then comparing the heartbeats of your sick hen with a healthy one, just in case you are able to detect a murmur or an arrhythmia (heart beating irregularly, too fast, or too slow). The thing is, I'm not sure what can be done even if you do detect this issue, other than bring you some peace of mind by ruling out other diseases. And to justify continued supportive care. I'm glad I know.

Have you tried adding electrolytes to their water as @aart mentioned? I use "rooster booster." It's visibly helped keep my flock from wilting, Buffy included (though she still needs extra TLC on sweltering days). Probiotics are also good to include.

I remember going through a point when I thought it could be worms, too, because I think there is a type that causes open-mouthed breathing (gapeworm?). And it is a possibility. Have you been able to see what her poops look like? I realize not everyone has access to a vet willing to look at chicken poop, but I've read there are also mail order companies that will do that (not sure about price though).

Good luck. It's crazy how deeply you can bond with a chicken--and at times, heartbreaking. She sounds like a real sweetheart and a trooper. I am rooting for her!

If you can get a stethoscope (you can buy vet-sized ones online), I do feel it could be detected by an untrained person. A normal heart should have 2 distinct parts of beat ("lub-DUP") but murmurs would also involve a whooshing sound during the heartbeat cycle (looked this up on mayoclinic). I'm guessing this could extend to chickens. Might be worth getting one and then comparing the heartbeats of your sick hen with a healthy one, just in case you are able to detect a murmur or an arrhythmia (heart beating irregularly, too fast, or too slow). The thing is, I'm not sure what can be done even if you do detect this issue, other than bring you some peace of mind by ruling out other diseases. And to justify continued supportive care. I'm glad I know.

Have you tried adding electrolytes to their water as @aart mentioned? I use "rooster booster." It's visibly helped keep my flock from wilting, Buffy included (though she still needs extra TLC on sweltering days). Probiotics are also good to include.

I remember going through a point when I thought it could be worms, too, because I think there is a type that causes open-mouthed breathing (gapeworm?). And it is a possibility. Have you been able to see what her poops look like? I realize not everyone has access to a vet willing to look at chicken poop, but I've read there are also mail order companies that will do that (not sure about price though).

Good luck. It's crazy how deeply you can bond with a chicken--and at times, heartbreaking. She sounds like a real sweetheart and a trooper. I am rooting for her!
Thank you, I will try listening to her heart. I have listened to her back and hear what sounds like a very fast heartbeat, as well as normal breathing sounds. Her poop is looking rather yellow. The urates are yellow rather than white. I’ve been told cocci, respiratory infection and worms. I really don’t think it’s any of those. Yes, it’s better to know what you’re dealing with rather than wondering.

Another concern was that the unexpected rooster in our flock hurt her. He got so big, so fast and has been really rough on the hens, especially the little ones like her. She is not full grown yet, and I saw him mount her three times in 15 minutes the other day. She looked like she was being crushed. I’ve kept him separate since then, and sadly I think he as to go. They are much happier not having to look over their shoulder constantly to avoid being raped.

Another concern was that the unexpected rooster in our flock hurt her. He got so big, so fast and has been really rough on the hens, especially the little ones like her. She is not full grown yet, and I saw him mount her three times in 15 minutes the other day. She looked like she was being crushed. I’ve kept him separate since then, and sadly I think he as to go. They are much happier not having to look over their shoulder constantly to avoid being raped.
Oh no. That could certainly be behind her issues. Sounds stressful. We almost picked up a rooster the other day and your post is affirming our decision not to (thank you). We didn't want to disrupt an already peaceful flock at the expense of Buffy's heart.

...We may go with our original plan of putting up a "no cocks allowed" sign on their coop.

There's a chance your roo may grow out of his rowdiness. But it sounds like, in this case, he might be better placed elsewhere.

Did you notice your hen growing at a faster rate than her flock mates early on?

Oh, and yes, I’ve been using rooster booster, and vitamins, alternating both in their water.
Yes, I only use it during particularly hot spells. Sometimes a few days in a row if it's unrelenting.
Just remember to always have plain fresh water also available when dosing with electrolytes...too much can be a bad thing.

Just remember to always have plain fresh water also available when dosing with electrolytes...too much can be a bad thing.
Thank you for the caution. We also put out tubs of plain ice water throughout the day, too. They love fresh water calls!

We're just in the last day of a heat spell here and we plan to replace their main water this evening. Typically we use acv in their main supply (except when using booster or in their fresh water tubs). I heard acv can be bad during the hot days, though. Let me know your insights there.

Thank you for the caution. We also put out tubs of plain ice water throughout the day, too. They love fresh water calls!

We're just in the last day of a heat spell here and we plan to replace their main water this evening. Typically we use acv in their main supply (except when using booster or in their fresh water tubs). I heard acv can be bad during the hot days, though. Let me know your insights there.
I stopped with ice water(saw a bird gorge on the ice water and stagger around with an ice cream headache-seriously, I thought she was gonna keel over) so just the big chunks of ice now.
IMO, no reason ever for ACV...or any probiotics.
Most chicken feeds already have 'probiotics' in them(read the fine print).

This is my hot weather regime:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom